Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you have an XJ

I have a 95 XJ I'm just starting to set up for running trails. If you have something similar would you let me know? I need to learn a lot. I'm teetering as far as lifting is concerned but it would be great to connect with somebody more experienced on Cherokees. I belong to NAXJA also but they are mostly serious crawlers and I'm just a play runner.
    Gregg Turk
    West Oak Hills
    greggturk.com
    95 Jeep Cherokee, 69 Jeep CJ5

serious crawlers over at naxja, LOL, if you have any ? at all just ask away////Kevin

Comment

Well compared to me they seem pretty serious and they are pretty young with a much higher tolerance for risk.
      I'm starting to modify my XJ, I have AJ's Super Rock rails on order and the next step is I want a little lift. I'm thinking all I want is 3 inches (31's) but the young guys are all saying go to 4.5 or you'll be really sorry. I tow this thing behind my motorhome and use it as a dingy so my wife who has serious arthritis needs to be able to get in and out! My problem is I think it would be helpful to see an XJ with a 3 and a 4.5 to compare. Your XJ looks pretty serious and while I may want to go there someday but not with this vehicle at this time. My CJ will do way more than I want to do already but at my advanced age I want heat and A/C! So I'm just kind of asking if there is a MJR member around here that I can bounce ideas off. I went to the meet and greet but the only XJ was on a trailer and seriously modified. I could ramble on but I need to choose things like 3 or 4, Rusty's or Rough Country or ?? Those kinds of things.
      Gregg Turk
      West Oak Hills
      greggturk.com

Comment

well.. you kinda have to ask the question.. of what is the main purpose of this vehicle.. and.. what up grades are you thinking about doin or not doin in the distant future.

Now I always believe that lower is better.Fitting the largest tire on the least amount of lift. has always worked for me. and others on here will agree..

If your thinking 31's I would still recommend running a 4.5" kit.. for the sure thought of upgrading. I run a 4.5 kit on my jeep with 33" tall tires.. but I have done some major trimming.(with alot more needed) to clear them.

with the 4.5" kit you can clear 31's or 32's easily.. but if you decide you want to go bigger (because you will.. lol) you still can with out buying a new lift..

as for kits.. I will stand behind Rough Country's kit.. I have it on my current XJ.. and have had it on one other.. and I have not had one issue with it..

I would recommend paying the little extra for the adj. lower arm.. one because of up-grading & two because the joints out perform the bushings in their standard arm..

of coarse thats just my $.02 (ok maybe its a dollars worth)
        [COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]
        PARTS, SERVICE, INSTALLATION & CUSTOM FAB...

Comment

Originally posted by tgregg View Post
          I went to the meet and greet but the only XJ was on a trailer and seriously modified.

common.. i know my jeep is not as cool as kevin's on his fancy trailer.. behind his fancy excursion.. but i was there darn it..

i know i know

lol.. just kiddin Kevin we all know.. my jeeps cooler..
          hahahahahahahahahahaha

[COLOR="Blue"]www.LEADFOOToffroad.com [/COLOR][COLOR="blue"][COLOR="Red"] COMING SOON!!![/COLOR][/COLOR]

Comment

here mine when it was kinda clean, this is like 7'' of lift its lots lower now...

Comment

heres my zj i built, back in the day it has 4.5 adj r/e and 33s it is prob the height you need, if you want good ride and easy to get in and out...im actually thinkin about painting the xj the same color.

Comment

and dont get me wrong about naxja i have a few good friends over there, and im a paying member, its just changed a lot over the years.....

Comment

Hey Kevin, thats a sweet looking ZJ! CLEAN!....So what ever happen to it??

Sell it, rolled ??? Just curious.

Comment

wheeled the crap out of it and i started beating it up more than i was comfy with, went everywhere in it, even wheeled moab with it, now that i think about it i wish i still had it, i sold it to some dude in ventura, who i think just dd's the thing.

Comment

diggin the ZJ... I understand how you feel.. built enough for fun.. but still to nice to trash on...

Comment

I think a 4.5" kit is good, it also seems to be an "all around" size. Here's a pic of my old '94 XJ.

MY JEEP ROCKS... DOES YOURS'?

Redneck small talk:
                        D'jeet? No, d'ju? Yump-to? Aiaght.

Comment

Thank you guys. Yes, it looks like 4.5 on 33's would be good. I have 30's on it now and I think it is stock height but I'm not sure of the "stock" as it had a lot of miles before I got it!
                          Gregg Turk
                          West Oak Hills
                          greggturk.com

Comment

My rock rails came yesterday! First step in the transformation from SUV to trail runner!
                            Gregg Turk
                            West Oak Hills
                            greggturk.com

Comment

Gregg

What have decided on for your XJ build?

Comment

Working...
                              X