Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 99 tj cracking noises

All went well up at sledgehammer till today. The jeep started feeling funny upon acceleration and kinda vibe at speed. But now, upon acceleration the sound has become a cracking noise. When the jeep is driven in 4x4 in a circle it really gets bad. Sounds like things are braking, the noise is intense. One of my guys at work said the sound was coming under the belly of the jeep. Any suggestions? I have a new tera-low 4:1 in the transfer case, new clutch and new clutch plate.

Any tests so that I could diagnose the issue? Thanks.

I think its the throw out bearing in the clutch. When I depress the clutch the noise goes away! When the clutch in engaged it sounds like scraping, grinding! How bad is this?

Comment

Hey Nikos . . . sorry to hear that your Jeep isn't feeling well. Your last post reminded me of another thread I saw the other day where someone was diagnosing a similar issue. Hope this helps!

http://rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3...p?f=23&t=59367
      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Do you have a cv shaft in the rear? if need be take the rear one out drive in 4 wheel drive see if noise goes away same goes for the front shaft. In high range the transfer case is a direct drive so most likely the noise is not coming from there

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
          Hey Nikos . . . sorry to hear that your Jeep isn't feeling well. Your last post reminded me of another thread I saw the other day where someone was diagnosing a similar issue. Hope this helps!

http://rubiconownersforum.com/phpbb3...p?f=23&t=59367
          Thanks. Ya, I've been having all kinds of problems after I had this shop change my clutch. The thumping goes away when the clutch is depressed, but the minute you let it go, it thumps, grinds, makes a terrible noise.

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
            Do you have a cv shaft in the rear? if need be take the rear one out drive in 4 wheel drive see if noise goes away same goes for the front shaft. In high range the transfer case is a direct drive so most likely the noise is not coming from there
            Those have all been replaced new not too long ago. Its in the bellhousing.

Comment

Nikos,
              Do you have the dust sheild installed on the front of the bellhousing? If not, something (a ROCK!) might have made it's way in there and damaged the throwout bearing. JV has a way of showing you whats weak on your Jeep. Guess this is yours...

EIDT: Time to have the guys that installed your clutch step up and fix it if you've been having trouble with it since the install.
              [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
              [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
              http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

A noisy throwout bearing is VERY common on TJ's. Mine was so noisy from day one that I took it back to the dealer 3 times. All three times they told me it was normal. It has a sort of "marbles in a can" sound to it.

Since then, everyone I have ever met with a 5-speed TJ has had this same problem. Every one.

If the bearing isn't squealing, then you're probable ok.
                '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Thanks guys. I took in to the original mechanic in case it was clutch related, didnt feel like paying labor again. It turned out to be a bad cv. I really didnt think it was the issue since I just recently had changed it. Done deal!

Comment

Nikos those things need to be lubed often however what might have caused it is binding of the cv joint at full axle drop. I had that happen on mine, it would bind at full axle drop. After I changed the centering ball I clearanced the cv joint with a die grinder and limited axle drop somewhat and its all happy now. What happens when it binds is that it tries to pry the centering ball out of its socket wich after a while destroys the socket then it gets dry and start making noise and vibrating

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                      Nikos those things need to be lubed often however what might have caused it is binding of the cv joint at full axle drop. I had that happen on mine, it would bind at full axle drop. After I changed the centering ball I clearanced the cv joint with a die grinder and limited axle drop somewhat and its all happy now. What happens when it binds is that it tries to pry the centering ball out of its socket wich after a while destroys the socket then it gets dry and start making noise and vibrating
                      For a while I was not running any bump stops (long story) but now there on. Will that do, or should I run some limiting straps. Your right, the cv looks like it was torn apart!

Comment

Just lift the rear of the jeep with your high lift or something put it on jackstands with the axle hanging down as far as it will go (where it just hagns by itself from the shocks and sway bar and see if the driveshaft will turn without binding. If so you are good, if not limit straps or whatever it takes to keep it from dropping that far will be the ticket

Comment

Thanks man, will do!

Comment

Ur welcome

Comment

Working...
                            X