Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those surge brakes work very well on the street. One time I had to fly back to North Carolina and pack an entire U-haul truck full of my mother-in law's stuff, and put her car on the back on one of those trailers (she died suddenly....it was a long time ago). I loved how well the brakes worked, I could stop that whole combo on a dime and give change. However, if you are going to be taking the trailer down any bumpy dirt roads, it's a real PITA. The bumps activate the brakes....washboard is the worst
    '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Lots of good imput here, my two cents....if you use a trailer take care to place the load properly. 60% forward from center gravity on the trailer. I have come across too many destroyed trailers in the middle of the freeway with all the contents scattered around. Also the trailer adds weight to the towing package that the truck has to pull. I felt sorry for my truck, but thats the way of it.
      Best of luck either way.
      BobO
      Last edited by Mtbikbob; 02-07-09, 09:19 AM. Reason: sp
      "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
      (Charles Wells)

Comment

I flat tow mine behind behind my motorhome all the time. Its hard to tell its even back there and i have no problem stopping without brakes. I've even towed it behind my Tacoma for short distances but i wouldn't use that for any long distance drives as the TJ weights close to what the tacoma does and the stopping distances are greatly increased. You should be fine flat towing with an Armada, the only issue without a trailer is if you break a driveline part out on the trail it would be alot harder to get it home without a trailer to load it on.
        Last edited by TJ Clay; 02-07-09, 10:16 AM. Reason: sp

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Clay View Post
          the only issue without a trailer is if you break a driveline part out on the trail it would be alot harder to get it home without a trailer to load it on.
          That thought has crossed my mind!
          Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
          Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
          HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

I agree with the trailer rental. i usualy borrow my buddy pauls if i need to haul stuff with my dads chevy. they are handy and way easyer! plus you can strap extra stuff around the jeep on the deck, and pack the jeep all to heck. plus it doesnt wear on your 33's or 35's which run 300+. who wants like 2500 extra miles on their jeepin tires? ujoints? trailer rental is safer, less prone to breakin your jeep and ruining your wheelin trip. just my 2 cents canadian.

Hurricane

Comment

Working...
            X