Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 79 cj5 258 stuttering surging

Searched and read but no answers to be had.
    I start the jeep it idles fine, I start driving and it's all good
    then all of a sudden it starts sputtering like i'm running out of gas, no matter what I do with the gas pedal. I push in the clutch and I can rev the engine just fine, let off the clutch and it's back to surging and sputtering.

I just did the carter idle tube clean out to see if that was it, as I had been having stalling issues at stop signs, and a ruff idle.

It starts and idles fine and will rev fine, but once in gear and going down the road, surging and sputtering, no power.
    [COLOR=black]1979 CJ5, 4" Lift, 33", TBI[/COLOR]

zero replies?
    [COLOR=black]1979 CJ5, 4" Lift, 33", TBI[/COLOR]

Comment

Did you check your gas filter?Check around your fuel pump for leaks and pressure if you've got a gauge.Forgot to say to check vac.advance on distributer
      Last edited by GP4Play; 02-15-09, 02:15 PM. Reason: Forgot
      Dennis and Tammy
      Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

sounds like vacuum problem. I'd second the vacuum advance on distributor problem. How is your timing?

I had kinda similar issue a few years back, that was a fuel delivery issue. Under load, the fuel hose from the tank would collapse, stopping/blocking fuel flow. It would stall, but restart with no problem...only to repeat once under load again.

Comment

Working...
        X