Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• '06 tj swaped rear 44 no e-break

i will spare you all the &*$&%&#@^ swearing but i am at my *^%$$&& witts end on this."4 wheel parts" swapped in an aftermarket "g2" rear axle. love the upgrade. love the disc breaks.love the fact that they got most of it warranteed out the door at $1600.00 . really i am happywith everything but the fact that they will not or can not(the root of my question)ajust the "e-break" to hold the jeep, on my slightly sloped driveway but more importantly on the trail where(pardon this drama) could be life or death. i wheel my jeep and i need a @#$% *&*^%^ )%(*^#& "e-break" whats next go to a break shop for a second opinion? i have even considdered a pinion break but was going to wait till i upgrade the "t-case" because that seemed like the logical time to do it. ooooh wow! i have been on a rant here for a while. sorry!! any thoughts or sugestions would be greatly appreciated!

Did they re-use the brakes from your 35? When I swapped my 44 in this summer I didn't touch the e-brake cable and it works just fine. The brakes are in the same place, just on a different axle so it should work the same as it did pre swap. If the axle came with new brakes, then I'd think that they should adjust the e-brake as part of the installation. Which 4Wheel Parts store did the swap? I haven't used them too much, but have had good luck talking with Steve, the asst manager at Santa Ana.
    "The Jeep...is a fitting instrument to transport the free people of a free nation with the respect to which we are entitled and the dignity that we deserve."

Comment

how are you adjusting the e-brake?
      [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
      SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
      Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

ok its a brand new dana 44 all the way across.
        i have learned that there is an ajustment at the wheels and the cable under the center of the vehicle. i am gonna pull the wheels tomorow (day off) i am a newbie and not tremendously skilled withe the wrenches, however this seems like it might be in my limmited skill set. any pointers would be bennificial. BESIDES I NEED TO START LEARNING! so as to not get stuck on the trail.

thanx again
        DEMON4X

Comment

Desert Jewel has the same problem with her e-brakes from 4Wheel Parts... they did all that werk on her jeep and didnt properly adjust anything. You should be able to adjust it to work, but I would go 'micro lock' on the lines, then you can even have front and rear locked if you want...
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Ya I don't even use my e-brake. Mine actually doesn't want to turn off all the way. The brake light flashes and rings that annoying buzzer all the time. I actually have appt with 4 Wheel Parts to have them fix whatever broke on the birthday run under warranty and going to have them fix the e-brake too. Unfortunately, since mine was done for the TV show, I have to go to the Redondo Beach store for any warranty issues. Fun stuff!
            Last edited by Desert Jewel; 01-30-09, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by demon4x View Post
              ok its a brand new dana 44 all the way across.
              i have learned that there is an ajustment at the wheels and the cable under the center of the vehicle. i am gonna pull the wheels tomorow (day off) i am a newbie and not tremendously skilled withe the wrenches, however this seems like it might be in my limmited skill set. any pointers would be bennificial. BESIDES I NEED TO START LEARNING! so as to not get stuck on the trail.

thanx again
              DEMON4X
              Read up on adjusting drum brakes. Thats basically what the e-brake is. Theres really no need to take the wheel off, unless you want to do more work.
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
                Read up on adjusting drum brakes. Thats basically what the e-brake is. Theres really no need to take the wheel off, unless you want to do more work.
                cool thanx
                off to get to it now

Comment

arrrrgh

ok popped off the little rubber gromet in the backing plate . no "star wheel" what now pull the tire, caliper, and rotor,and go at it that way?
                  i am on a mission to learn this and get it done .

thanx in advance for the help
                  demon4x

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                    Desert Jewel has the same problem with her e-brakes from 4Wheel Parts... they did all that werk on her jeep and didnt properly adjust anything. You should be able to adjust it to work, but I would go 'micro lock' on the lines, then you can even have front and rear locked if you want...
                    ok pardon my ignorance here but what are "micro locks" i would love to have all 4 locked!!!

demon4x

Comment

Look carefully there should be a star wheel. Sometimes when they are REALLY out of adjustment the star wheel is to the front or the back of that hole with the dust cover. I put my rear end on jack stands first so I can adjust them by feel. I tighten them till I can feel brakes dragging then back them off about three notches. Do this with the e-brake off. Then try the e-brake and if it is not holding adjust the e-brake cable.
                      Those left standing
                      Will make millions
                      Writing books on ways
                      It should have been
                      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

I think the star adjuster is only with drums, he said he upgraded to discs

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Clay View Post
                          I think the star adjuster is only with drums, he said he upgraded to discs
                          The 1 time that I saw this conv.(brand?)the 'E' brake was inside the disc rotor,just like a drum brake,and had a star wheel adj. and back plate.Use a lite,and like OU812 said,it may be Fr. or Rr of the hole.As for a Micro Lock, its a new way of saying LineLock.It hooks into your brake sys.to lock all 4 whl's.Had same on a 53'CJ5 and it was cool.
                          Dennis and Tammy
                          Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

up date i found the star wheel on the drivers side . need to get a brake ajusting tool to try to spin it down. up did no good and the flatblade does not have the clearance to try the oppsite direction! will do other side at that time
                            keep you all posted

thank you all for the help

demon4x
                            Last edited by demon4x; 02-01-09, 09:12 AM.

Comment

Demon,one thing I forgot to mention is the ratchet sound you hear is a lock.It keeps the brake for back'n off.So if you go to tight you have to push stright in with a little screw driver,even a 16 pen. nail will work, on the lock to back off the star.Hope this is help'n.
                              Dennis and Tammy
                              Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

Working...
                              X