Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wheel and Tire setup?

My Yj has 33 12.5R15 Kodiak A/Ts on black steel wheels. These came with my jeep and have some tread left on them but I do not like them. They are very loud and I think they are a bit too wide. I am sure everyone has there own opinions about tires but I have searched the forums and not found anything. I am thinking 33 10.5R15 BFG All Terrains. Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.
    Those left standing
    Will make millions
    Writing books on ways
    It should have been
    -Incubus "Warning"

The bfg/ at's are a pretty decent all around 4 wheeling tire, Not the thickest side wall but they are defenitely fairly quiet, I ran the 31's on my Jeep and they did pretty well
    Last edited by aw12345; 01-12-09, 04:14 PM.

Comment

I have four of em on 7" wide alum rims. They ride good on highway, and have done everything asked of them off road,,,,,except last time I was out I tore a bit of sidewall. It still holds air and isn't bubbled.

Comment

OU812,

Why do you feel they are too wide? Are you having problems or you don't like the appearance?

As far as BFG AT's go, they are the best of both worlds for a daily driver & off road. Good tread life, quiet, and do well off road. In fact a small group of us went on a snow run in Beag Bear after the first snow and my BFG's out performed all the other guy's MT's of various brands.

I reommend that you don't get in a big hurry to down size your tires too much. Really look into it. It's a big investment.
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

I was a little worried that some ticket happy CHP would give me a fix-it ticket because my tires were way wider then my fenders. Hindsight is twenty twenty. I bought my 33 10.5/15 BFG A/T but now I wish I would have looked at the BFG M/T KM2s. Maybe in 70K miles Ill look again. I have had the BFG A/T's on my Toyota truck and really liked them. They are pretty good in the sand too. My first off pavement with them on the Jeep will be this Saturday in Coyote Canyon. I probably could have got away with 33 12.5s but I think the 10.5s will suit me.
          Those left standing
          Will make millions
          Writing books on ways
          It should have been
          -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]Dear Van Hagar fan,
            I have run BFG A/T's exclusively for the last twenty years and love them! I've never owned a set bigger than 31x10.5 and regularly get at least 60k outta them. Sometimes getting as much as 75k outta a set!
            The only downturn is that when I recently upgraded the dismal 30x9.5 Goodyears that came on my LJ. The mileage went from an average of around 17.3 mpg to around 13-15 mpg. A new set of A/T's in 31x10.5 was the only mod done so far other than a new bumper; which didn't weigh much more than the stock bumper/bar set up.
            ODD[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
            X