Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using 4 Low with Unlocked Hubs

Hi All,

Around my house I've got some steep driveways and such, and going up them, particulary backing up, is an exercise in pain and clutch torture (I have the 3 speed tranny with 33" tires).

So, if I leave my front hubs unlocked, can I stick it in 4 Low, on concrete/asphalt and drive it on up?

Thanks! :smile:
    -- Warren
    1999 SE

You can put your transfer in 4 high or low without locking your hubs in.Just remember that you need to be on level ground to shift in or out easy
    Dennis and Tammy
    Its as much fun getting dirty as it is being dirty in a Jeep!

Comment

How about in a YJ? Can I drive around in low range with out the front hubs engaged whithout causing any damage?
      Those left standing
      Will make millions
      Writing books on ways
      It should have been
      -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

Originally posted by GP4Play View Post
        You can put your transfer in 4 high or low without locking your hubs in.Just remember that you need to be on level ground to shift in or out easy
        Cool, that'll really help!

The 3 speed tranny and 33's really kind of bite when you need to go slow in a steep hilly area.
        -- Warren
        1999 SE

Comment

Originally posted by OU812 View Post
          How about in a YJ? Can I drive around in low range with out the front hubs engaged whithout causing any damage?
          Absolutely, I do that all the time to take my front locker out of the equation when easier steering is needed. You're talking aftermarket hubs and not the standard YJ axle disconnect right?
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I've never owned a YJ or TJ but I know you need to take care in 4 wheel low on pavement.In 4 wheel high is supposed to be ok,but I don't recommend it unless your your on snow or ice
            Dennis and Tammy

Comment

Im just talking about not locking the hubs and shifting the transfer case into 4Low on a stock jeep. Will that work?
              Those left standing
              Will make millions
              Writing books on ways
              It should have been
              -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

It will work just fine.
                Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

Comment

Sorry I was slow getting back to ya,only have computer at work,Boys broke home one.theres no problem with shifting into 4 low or high and not locking hubs
                  Dennis and Tammy

Comment

A wise friend gave me a good piece of advice about this. He basically said... yes you can do this BUT, low range was intended for 4wd when both axles are sharing the torque load. In low range 2wd you may be more likely to break axles. So up the drive way should be cool, but in the rocks might not.
                    Those left standing
                    Will make millions
                    Writing books on ways
                    It should have been
                    -Incubus "Warning"

Comment

It's fine. Just use common sense with it.
                      I used to have a yj and I put the 'posi-lok' in it....I did the same thing...used to live up a really steep hill and for the little four banger, it was a real task, especially riding the clutch to get it started.
                      Same concept as not locking hubs, with open front diff (and rear..) and the front axle not engaged (old yj system with two piece pass axle)...I had 2whl low.
                      Worked great on a trail with tight turns or turn arounds..
                      David aka Mr.[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Orange[/COLOR]
                      I think it's my turn for a bailout....what do you think?

Comment

Working...
                      X