Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Worn Brake Mount Ledges

After 105,000 miles, I got around to replacing the front brake pads on my TJ. I was surprised to discover that the tabs on the pads have worn notches on the brake mount ledges. This is the bottom left mount:

This is the bottom right mount:

This is the upper right mount:

The upper left mount didn't have any wear.
    Ignore them
    100.00%
    Smooth them out with a grinder
    0.00%
    Replace them
    0.00%
    If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
    KI6MLU

Were are the wear sleeves? Did it wear through them as well, or did you not have them?
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
      Were are the wear sleeves? Did it wear through them as well, or did you not have them?
      I don't have any wear sleeves on the front. The Service Manual shows that "anti-rattle clips" are used on rear disc brake mount adapters, but there is no mention of them for the front mount ledges. Since I have drum brakes on my rear axle, I don't know exactly what the clips look like, but I presume that's what you mean by "wear sleeves"?

If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
      KI6MLU

Comment

Russ, I don't have the notches from wear but mine doesn't have sleeves either. ???

Comment

Originally posted by Russ Chung View Post
          I don't have any wear sleeves on the front. The Service Manual shows that "anti-rattle clips" are used on rear disc brake mount adapters, but there is no mention of them for the front mount ledges. Since I have drum brakes on my rear axle, I don't know exactly what the clips look like, but I presume that's what you mean by "wear sleeves"?

Yeah, that technical term they use...

I have them all around (the Terraflex disc brake upgrade for the rear came with them as well). I would think if the brakes aren't giving you trouble you might be alright for another set of pads, but I worry that if the notches get deeper the pads may start to hang up on you. Might wanna go to NAPA and get some of those "anti rattle" clips. BTW, did your brakes ever rattle?
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

yeah, if your jeep is making any kinda rattle noise, or clunks bumps or pings... maybe a thunk or a bump, pop, or chunk... just check 'em anti-rattler clip thingy's. That'll quiet that jeep right down! :devil:

looks like somebody has a crappy commute & stop-n-go got the best of 'em...
            :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I need to check that on my Jeep. I've bled (and re-bled) my brakes, and it still pulls to one side when braking. I have no "wear sleeves" either.
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
              X