Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear end leak...help

I just went outside and noticed a small oil spot under the rear end of the jeep. I have a dana 44 and it looks like its leaking where the axle tubes meet the pumpkin on both sides. I did some light wheeling two weekends ago but it just started this morning after i got home from work. Has this happened to anyone before?

Since you only admit to "light wheeling", I doubt it's leaking from where the axle tubes go into the center pumpkin. I'd clean it up and keep an eye on it, it could just be leaking from the differential cover which just means it needs to be resealed which is easy and cheap enough to do.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Well i cleaned it up and found out it was leaking from the yoke seal. I took it down to 4 wheel unlimited in pomona nd they determined that it was an inner bearing problem. They quoted 530 bucks to repair it. They were goin to have to tear the guts out of the rear end so i had them swap out the stock gears and throw in a shiny new set of 4:56 gears front and rear. It was way more than i was hoping to spend but ive been wanting to do it for a while so i figured why not do it while its already cracked open.

Comment

Originally posted by ECHO View Post
        Well i cleaned it up and found out it was leaking from the yoke seal. I took it down to 4 wheel unlimited in pomona nd they determined that it was an inner bearing problem. They quoted 530 bucks to repair it. They were goin to have to tear the guts out of the rear end so i had them swap out the stock gears and throw in a shiny new set of 4:56 gears front and rear. It was way more than i was hoping to spend but ive been wanting to do it for a while so i figured why not do it while its already cracked open.
        wow..
        a bad $8 pinion seal cost you $530 to get fixed. The bearings usually last several hundred thousand miles before they require service.
        It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

I second that, I would have just pulled the yoke and put in another seal. Shouldn't take more than say three beers to complete.

Comment

X3, I think you were probably screwed by that 4WP shop. It was probably nothing more than just a leaky $18 pinion seal which takes no more than 30 minutes to replace.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Hard to say if he got screwed, untill you see the diff and check the pinion for play and what not it's not that easy to point fingers most likely you are right but you never know stuff does break,also he got it regeared so all in all not to terrible, still 8 bucks for a seal a impact gun and a socket and about 30 mins of your time would have wrapped up the seal replacement. I think in his case, I would have taken it to Tri County gear in Pomona, Jason is a standup guy

Comment

Working...
              X