X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubs locked/unlocked - Arguments?

Hi All,

Newbie alert again!

I've been reading a lot of articles to fully understand my CJ.

I've read several that recommend you leave the hubs locked all the time - Claiming it helps keep all the front-end parts lubed, and fuel mileage loss is negligible...

I've not read much that said it's a bad thing, other than wearing things more (admittingly a weak argument by the writers).

So, let's hear some viewpoints!

Thanks!
    I leave them locked all the time
    16.67%
    I only lock them when I need them, or think I may need them
    83.33%
    -- Warren
    1999 SE

well, do you have an open diff, spool, auto locker, limited slip or selectable locker up front? I did not go with locking hubs because I found that they are just another weak and complicated part of a simple system. That being said, there should be no reason to spend money getting rid of them, since you allready have them. If you have a locker up front you will want them unlocked all the time, untill you need them. if you have an open diff or limited slip I would lock them and forget about them. Yer axle will be live all the time, but it really doesnt matter because the t-case is not engaged. when you go off road and you need to shift into 4wd, you will allready have them locked and so yer good to go. Lockers and 4wd generally used way too much, you should only engage when you need to. :2:
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

My front axle/diff is all stock, as far as I am told, so I assume just limited slip...

Still researching that one too! :bonk:

I need to jack the front-end up and experiment...
      -- Warren
      1999 SE

Comment

Do not leave your hubs locked at all times.
        Later jeeps have bearing and design improvements that allow the front to turn with little resistance. Your older CJ was designed with hubs because the rolling resistance will greatly affect your milage. There is absolutely NO reason to leave them engaged. I have seen CJ's with the front not engaged for over 10 years with NO problems at all.
        It's not what you have. it's what you do with what you have.

Comment

Run 'em unlocked but just once in a while, lock the hubs so the carrier and everything else spins and gets lubricated. That's how I run the Warn hubs on my TJ and it works for me.
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I run them free until i need them for the fun stuff.
            All slow and no show

Comment

Working...
            X