Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• check engine

Ok I got lots of mud and water all over my engine it made a humming sound for a while but I spent a couple hours cleaning the jeep from head to toe after driving for about 40 miles the check engine light came on but before that it felt a little sluggish once in a while...Could it be when I was hosing the mud off the engine I soaked something I shouldn,t have??Thanks Geeb..
    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Did you get any water in the air filter? That's probably the first thing I'd check.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Turn your key on/off quickly 3 times without starting the vehicle. The odometer will do a check and return any code you may have. Then post or look up the code. It might be a simple as the TPS if you got too much water in there.
      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

I took the air filter out and cleaned it..I also hear a humming sound that I first noticed on the trail but the check engine light did not come on til about 80 miles later and it,s still hummin??

Comment

It seems like everytime I see others clean thier engines...... The check engine light follows.... Usually TPS gets wet.
          offroadwerkz.com
          (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Well I turned the key 3 or 4 times no code came up..But may be because I,ve got a 97 TJ a little older, anyway what,s the TBS ya,ll are talkin about and does it just go off? the engine light?

Comment

Unless the fault cleared it self of the check engine light will not go off.
              Pressure washing electronicly controled engines is not a good idea. Tends to get water in electronic parts

Comment

That I know that,s why I didn,t pressure wash and took close to 3 hours to get all the gunk off just a garden hose not much pressure. Thanks though..

Comment

Originally posted by Geebo View Post
                  Well I turned the key 3 or 4 times no code came up..But may be because I,ve got a 97 TJ a little older, anyway what,s the TBS ya,ll are talkin about and does it just go off? the engine light?
                  Not sure if that feature works on early TJs, but it is on/off 3 times and, of course, leave it on the 3rd time. You should look into getting an el cheapo code reader to save you some hassle.

TPS is the Throttle Position Sensor and it doesn't like moisture. More often than not it'll throw a code when it gets wet. Mine does it like clockwork every time it rains, I get a P0122 code the day after, and then after 200 miles of driving, it goes away.
                  [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Lawerance and AwW Thanks guys I did the on off thing saw no code but 20 minutes later and the check engine light went off...humming is fading also..Thanks ...Geebo

Comment

My engine bay is a mess . . . I was thinking about washing it out this weekend after I clean all the crap off of my battery . . . what areas should you try to avoid getting much water into . . . where's the TPS? Can I put a bag or plastic wrap around it to keep most the moisture out?
                      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
                        Turn your key on/off quickly 3 times without starting the vehicle. The odometer will do a check and return any code you may have. Then post or look up the code. It might be a simple as the TPS if you got too much water in there.
                        I washed my engine a while back the check engine light came on and it started running funny. It turned out too be the tps on the throttle body. Original 1997 tps didnt have a seal if you replace it the new one should have a seal to protect it from the water and moisture. Makes sure you pull the code first I think Autozone will do it for free.

Comment

Jeeperator, Thanks for the tip!!!

Comment

Any updates is it fixed?

Comment

yep! it fixed itself.. the light went off and then that damn whistling sound went away.I tried that key on and off three times,no code came up then say 20 minutes later started the jeep no check engine light or humming...good deal Thanks Jeeperator..Geeb

Comment

Working...
                              X