Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Windshield Wiper Control Arms

During our recent snowy weather, my passenger side wiper quit working.

So this morning I checked it out:

1. I unbolted the hard top except for the back two bolts. This was to keep it aligned and it would be easier to reassemle since I was working alone.

2. I removed the screws that attaches the top to the windshield frame.

3. I pried up the top to clear the window frame. I held it up with a couple of 1"x. blocks.

4. I removed the bolts holding the windshield in place.

5. I lowered the windshield.

6. I removed the snap-in plastic cover behind the passenger wiper arm.

7. I observed that the wiper linkage came off the shaft that the wiper blade & arm attach to. This is rectangular and when I pushed it back on, it easily slipped off. I removed the cover over the driver's side to compare and see if a part was missing or broken. I saw that the pivit arm was pressed on to the shaft just like the other side should be, but it was tight. There was a "dimple" where the arm fit over the shaft making it tight.

8. For the passenger side repair, I first put a 1x4 that was long enough under both wiper shafts. I did this so that I could use a punch and hammer to put dimples on the arm where it slid over the rectangular shaft.

9. After putting four or five dimples around the shaft, I tried removing the arm and it was on tight. I mixed up a little JB Weld and forced it all around the shaft and pivit arm to fill in any gap and maybe help lock the two together.

10. I reassembled everything and turned the wipers on just for a few seconds. Everything seemd fine. But I want to wait at least 24 hours to try it again after the JB Weld fully cures.

Conclusion:
    I think I may end up putting in new parts, but I want to see how long my home repair lasts. I may order the new parts just to have in stock. They're cheap enough from Morris 4x4 center.

Anyone else have any experiences making repairs without buying new parts?
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout
Working...
X