Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What in the HELL is that NOISE - part 2

Some of you may recall my previous post about a clunking noise that I have at lower speeds when I go over bumps coming from the front passenger wheel area . . . well ITS BACK. The weird part is that the clunk/rattle went away completely for a couple of months after the dealership replaced the rear main seal and oil pan gasket under warranty. Makes me think it's something coming loose but I can figure out what . . . Any ideas on what it could be? I'd checked the U-joint and bearing on the passenger side, control arms, discos, etc when I had the noise before, but seeing how it went away for after the rear main seal and oil pan gasket were replaced, it seems like the culprit is something else entirely. The clunk is heard at low speeds (10-20) when going over bumps.

Any ideas on what might be causing this would be appreciated . . . the Jeep makes all sorts of noises but this one drives me nuts!
    Last edited by Schmo; 12-06-08, 09:53 PM.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

front t-case output yoke
    [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
    SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

it is probably only in your head
      Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Dukes69 View Post
        front t-case output yoke
        Is there a U-Joint there that would cause that sound? Would it make sense for it to go away after the rear main seal was replaced and then come back like it has? How do I check it?

Comment

I got the same clunk that goes away when i hit the brakes. I think it is the excessive play in the splines in the front driveshaft. Grease it up real good and see if it goes away for while.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
            I got the same clunk that goes away when i hit the brakes. I think it is the excessive play in the splines in the front driveshaft. Grease it up real good and see if it goes away for while.
            My clunk/rattle happens just as much when I'm hitting the brakes. What's got me thrown off and looking in different directions is how the noise went away after the rear main seal and oil pan gaskets were replaced . . . seems like they tightened something up and now it's worked itself loose again. How would you grease up the front DS? I've got the stock one and it doesn't appear to have any zirk fittings.

Comment

Have you cked your exhaust manifold, mine was loose, not enough to give an exhaust leak , but enough to clunk periodically to drive me nuts. I too had my rear pan / main seal replaced and the dealer tightened the manifold and the noise went away. At what speed? and is it when you are turning? Do you have an oil pan skid? The exhaust pipe routed around the pan can hit or vibrate on the skid.
              06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
              07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

it's funny you said that. when he was helping me with alignment today he was talking about that.

Mine has come loose a few times. My engine skid keeps it in check now. But I check all of it about once a month
                Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
                  Have you cked your exhaust manifold, mine was loose, not enough to give an exhaust leak , but enough to clunk periodically to drive me nuts. I too had my rear pan / main seal replaced and the dealer tightened the manifold and the noise went away. At what speed? and is it when you are turning? Do you have an oil pan skid? The exhaust pipe routed around the pan can hit or vibrate on the skid.
                  That's what I was thinking too, and it has come loose in the past, but I've gone thru pushing and pulling on the exhaust and it seems pretty snug throughout. We adjusted and tightened up the jam nut on the track bar which was totally loose and that seemed to help with the rattle, but the clunk is still there. I do have a engine skid, but it made the noise before that was installed. It happens mostly at low speeds like 10-20 and happens when going straight and turning when I hit bumps.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                    Is there a U-Joint there that would cause that sound? Would it make sense for it to go away after the rear main seal was replaced and then come back like it has? How do I check it?
                    There is, but I'm talking about the yoke at he t-case. Check the nut that holds it on. Other then that, stop guessing and put your hands on everything.
                    Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

There is, but I'm talking about the yoke at he t-case. Check the nut that holds it on. Other then that, stop guessing and put your hands on everything.

Can I get to the nut without removing the DS or is there another way to check if it loose (ie: will it wiggle). I've been under the Jeep several times grabing onto everything I can think of to see if it's loose . . . tapping things with a rubber mallot to try and reproduce the noise, etc . . . no luck.

Comment

The yoke nut should be a nylock so wont wiggle.I think the torque on that nut is 180 ft lbs. Have you tryed to have one person rock the steering back and forward, engine not running to see if you have a worn bushing, worn tie rod etc, see if you can eliminate any steering problems.
                        Have you had the front axle shafts out for any reason?
                        06 UNL RUBI 4.5 LA,KM 2-35's/ 4.88 BEADLOCKS/SKIDS/WINCH
                        07 AT CHASER TRAILER

Comment

Originally posted by mrchips View Post
                          The yoke nut should be a nylock so wont wiggle.I think the torque on that nut is 180 ft lbs. Have you tryed to have one person rock the steering back and forward, engine not running to see if you have a worn bushing, worn tie rod etc, see if you can eliminate any steering problems.
                          Have you had the front axle shafts out for any reason?
                          Thanks Mr. Chips . . . at least it sounds like I'm on the right track and eliminating all the basics! I've done the steering test . . . rotated the steering wheel back and forth several times and Josh couldn't notice anything loose, or outta whack. I have never removed the axle shafts. If it was that yoke . . . shouldn't the noise be coming from the driverside under the seat? The noise I have really sounds like it's coming from the passenger front wheel area.

Comment

The yoke hut is an upset lock nut. I've had one come loose and make a terrible racket. The distance from the passenger side to driver side is not much, so it wouldn't be hard to make the mistake. I thought my trans was making noise, but it actually ended up being the rear axle. That's about the same distance.
                            Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

The yoke hut is an upset lock nut. I've had one come loose and make a terrible racket. The distance from the passenger side to driver side is not much, so it wouldn't be hard to make the mistake. I thought my trans was making noise, but it actually ended up being the rear axle. That's about the same distance.
                              That's a good point . . . so how do I check to make sure the yoke nut isn't loose? I'm starting to really know my way around the steering and suspension but haven't done much with the drivetrain outside of putting on a CV DS. Please try to keep it simple as it took me a minute to realize that you didn't mean that the lock nut was angry!!! :wink:

Comment

Working...
                              X