Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thermostat Question

Ok,
    I have a carburated 89 YJ, and I am in the process right now of switching it over to fuel injection with a Howell kit. I had to replace the exhaust and intake gasket on the head to pass inspection and well I had the engine coolent drained, I was told it might be wise to replace the Thermostat on it (with the engine running, the temerature changes back and forth from 160 -180 degrees). What is the difference in the new set Thermostat degrees (is colder or hotter better?) and also should I run something different now that I will be running fuel injection?

Thanks for your time and comments

P.S. I will try to post how my conversion went and you can ask me question is you have any. I am doing all the work with a friend, and by doing so, I am saving about 2K in labor.

Jon,

Congrats on getting rid of the carb. I did this conversion about a year ago and what a difference. Check with Howell, the computer needs a specific temp for the thermostat. I believe mine is a 195' ?. Good luck.

Mitch

Comment

The thermostat is used to keep the engine as a whole a constant temperature. It will open and close to let in cooler coolant and let out hotter coolant to the radiator.

Fuel injection engines need 190 to 195 thermostats to run at a normal fuel mixture. If the engine is too cool the coolant temp sensor will make the computer think that the engine is cold and make it run rich. Remember it does not have a choke. A result will be poor mileage and failed smog.

If you run without a thermostat...... The engine will run cooler on the front cylinders and hotter on the rear cylinders causing cylinderhead gasket failure or to warp and or crack
      the head.

Brett
      offroadwerkz.com
      (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Definitely go with a 195 degree thermostat. Any cooler than that and your Jeep may not pass the smog test. In fact, make sure your engine is fully warmed up/hot just before your smog test starts. I failed the California smog test once simply because my engine was cold by the time the smog test guy got around to testing my Jeep. He told me to go drive it around and get it hot which did the trick.
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

4X on the 195

Comment

It's FIXED!!

I know it has taken a long time to get here, but I finally finished my Fuel Injection conversion swap.
            I still have a few questions thought if someone knows the answer;

1. The instruction mentioned something about the manifold heater needing to be connected (the swap un-connects it), but I was not sure if I should hook it up, and how to go about doing so, if you think it should be done.

2. I am running my ECM off of the 12V switched wire that used to run to my old ECM. Do I need to switch it to a new line or should that work fine.

3. I have two secondary air lines that connect to the catalytic converter, that used to be hooked up to the old carb air cleaner. Can I just let them hang there or do I have to do anything about them.

Thanks so much for anyone who has given me input and though in this process.
            If anyone has any questions about the conversion swap, I will be glad to give some input.
            It cost $1200 from 4wd.com, but they were very nice and price-matched it down some with another web site.
            JT

Comment

Working...
            X