Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thats what the guy at PSC said. But he said you need to keep the fluid moving to keep it cool and that valvoline syn doesn't work at low rpm. So thats why I need a smaller pulley.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
      Thats what the guy at PSC said. But he said you need to keep the fluid moving to keep it cool and that valvoline syn doesn't work at low rpm. So thats why I need a smaller pulley.
      I'm not sure what the difference is, if any, between your PS pump and mine (02 TJ). I almost broke down and bought the smaller pulley but really haven't had any problems. I'm using Mobil one syn in mine. Bled the :poop: out of the system for about 45 minutes. I'll put a cooler on this winter, but other than that, don't think I need to modify. And the Durango and Dakota use the same box with the same engine configuration. At least that's what the Napa P/Ns tell me.
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Kurt, I did find some discolored fuild in the system this time, so I took apart the whole system to flush it. (bad boy) The strange think is I couldn't find Valvoline syn. in 5 stores and one guy said they quit making it. Live and learn I love this Stuff.
        IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Kurt, I did find some discolored fuild in the system this time, so I took apart the whole system to flush it. (bad boy) The strange think is I couldn't find Valvoline syn. in 5 stores and one guy said they quit making it. Live and learn I love this Stuff.
          I got the Mobil one at Napa. So far so good.
          [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
          [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
          http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Curtis before you go of and spend a bunch of money what is the exact symptom? A smaller pukkey ony helps when you have inadequate volume from the pump to the steering box meaning that when you turn the steering wheel fairly slow the asist is good but it gets harder when you turn it faster. Now when you loose all the steering assist when hot and that pump worked fine with the old steering gear, I would take the steering box back for waranty because its junk and a smaller pulley at best will mask the problem somewhat

Comment

ART, I think you are right. I'am going to try what i did and see how it works before putting on the new pulley. If it doesn't work then I will return it.

Comment

ART what do they do when they rebuild a steering box? Also what do you think of PCS.

Comment

Typically what they do when rebuilding is disassemble
                  replace seals maybe the input worm shaft and bushings for the sector shaft. There is a good change the housing is scored or deformed, typically people working at a rebuilder are mot qualified mechanics.
                  The employees are just shown jhow to disassemble replace parts and assemble over and over. Now if you have an hydraulic gauge that goes up to say 2000 psi and rig a shutoff valve to it and mount it inline between the pump and the steering gear you can get a pretty good idea what is going on

Comment

ART, I think you are right. I'am going to try what i did and see how it works before putting on the new pulley. If it doesn't work then I will return it.
                    If you aren't running a cooler, you should be. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars until you install a good cooler. Do not run a stacked plate tranny cooler either. Either get a large tube and fin or a Currie style heat sink cooler in single pass.
                    I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                      If you aren't running a cooler, you should be. Do not pass go, do not collect 200 dollars until you install a good cooler. Do not run a stacked plate tranny cooler either. Either get a large tube and fin or a Currie style heat sink cooler in single pass.
                      Hey all, I don't post very often, although I will see you all at Calico this Saturday!

I agree with Mr. Blaine -- Run a PS coolerThe PS pump picks up a lot of heat radiating from your engines headers. Combine that heat with a higher output pump and you will ruin the PS fluid and the pump in short order. (Which is what I did!)
                      I bought the small (DER-13212) Economy Power Steering Cooler from PSC.
                      I don't think that the cooler is big enough, but with the radiators electric fan running there is a large volume of air constantly moving over the cooler.

IMO - Not enough fluid capacity for crawling, so I am going to install something like this:
                      Last edited by pdw; 12-12-08, 12:41 PM.
                      Money pit!

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post

Hey all, I don't post very often, although I will see you all at Calico this Saturday!

I agree with Mr. Blaine -- Run a PS coolerThe PS pump picks up a lot of heat radiating from your engines headers. Combine that heat with a higher output pump and you will ruin the PS fluid and the pump in short order. (Which is what I did!)
                        I bought the small (DER-13212) Economy Power Steering Cooler from PSC.
                        I don't think that the cooler is big enough, but with the radiators electric fan running there is a large volume of air constantly moving over the cooler.

IMO - Not enough fluid capacity for crawling, so I am going to install something like this:
                        Do not under any circumstances run that economy cooler from PSC. It's garbage, is not big enough and should not be sold to anyone as a cooler. Maybe a watch fob, but nothing else.

Further, in addition to the heat production already mentioned, the worst is holding the steering in bypass. The fluid is pumped in a very short loop and a bumped up pump can make the fluid warm up by 50° for 5 seconds it's in bypass.
                        I am Savvy.

Comment

Originally posted by mrblaine View Post
                          Do not under any circumstances run that economy cooler from PSC. It's garbage, is not big enough and should not be sold to anyone as a cooler. Maybe a watch fob, but nothing else.

Further, in addition to the heat production already mentioned, the worst is holding the steering in bypass. The fluid is pumped in a very short loop and a bumped up pump can make the fluid warm up by 50° for 5 seconds it's in bypass.
                          A watch fob????? Nice! I do want to replace that cooler, but I just got laid-off and so I'll have to wait until I find another J.O.B.
                          Working for a living is so overrated!
                          Money pit!

Comment

Steering Report

Took back first steering box, new one works. Put on smaller pulley and got a derale heat sink cooler. If I had it to do over again I would just buy a PSC box or send it to a rebuilder. Going to a Junk yard and getting a durango box and sending it in at parts store didn't work out well. The PSC box is already set up for cylinder assist when I need it. But hey every thing is good now.

Comment

Working...
                            X