Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CJ7's w/ Carter BBD & Calif Smogged

When I went to Ballarat with Steve, SARJeeper, I had all kinds of problems after the 1st day's 180 mile run throught the Panamints & Death Valley.

It wouldn't idle and the engine surged really bad. It acted like a vacuum leak but after Steve & I spent a couple of hours under the hood trying to fix it, we just couldn't find the problem. I finally told him and the rest of the group to go on the Pleasant Cyn run and not to wait for me any longer.

I got home okay by setting the idle very high.

The problem turned out to be the "decel valve". NAPA's computer showed ot was no longer available. I went to the Jeep Dealer in Victorville and their computer showed it was discontinued. The parts guy searched all their parts warehouses and located the last one in the world available. $55.55 USD later my ol' CJ is running better than it ever has.

So any of you CJ owners listen up. Be on the lookout for emission parts! They aren't making them anymore. I may hit up a few auto wrecking yards and start stockpiling parts...

Steve told me that he kept all the parts off his Jeep when he converted to fuel injection. He was going to give me the part but I had already committed to the new one. What a great guy he is!

Hopefully this will hold me over until I can save enough $$ for fuel injectition. Let's see - $20.00 a week times 60 weeks and I should have enough dough to buy fi kit.....
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Great news Roger! You needed something to go in your favor after all of the frustration. I'll see you this morning and maybe we can fix that oil leak.

Mitch

Comment

Ha! you crack me up Mitch! fixing an oil leak on a jeep... you guys never let up
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Glad its fixed Roger! I'll keep my box of crap in the garage for you!!! Call if you need something!

Comment

It looked like I fixed the leak and then I had another oil leak develop. I'm under the Jeep when I see a new puddle of oil. what the heck! I didn't see any oil on the top side. I noticed that the oil filter had oil running down it and a big drip ready to let go on the bottom of it. Somehow the oil filter worked losse just enough to leak. I tightened it up and it stopped
          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
          MJR moderator
          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
          Jeep Patrol Leader
          Reforestation Supervisor
          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
          Eagle Scout

Comment

Aren't CJ's fun Roger?
            Check out .

Comment

Didn't I tell ya, that is all just a part of Jeeps "Rust Protection Program." It just leaks oil to keep the frame from rusting out! Really, its good for it!

Comment

Working...
              X