Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Pan Replacement

Hi All,

So I bent the crap out of my oil pan on John Bull a few weeks ago and I've been driving around like that since then. Anyway, since time I replaced it.

I took a peek underneath this morning and noticed the oil pan is blocked by the exhaust. Do I need to remove my exhaust to get the oil pan out? I'm handy with the tools but I;ve never done this before. Any instructions will be great!

Thanks - Bash

I See Detroit's in My Future:gun:

if you have access to a lift it will make it alot easier but its doable in your garage. Undo your exhaust from the header and it will drop enough to let you slide the pan out the front. drop your starter to access some of the pan bolts and keep track of where the bolts go , they're not all the same length. One more thing,..........get a SKID PLATE! I put a hole in mine,relaced the pan, ordered a skid plate and before i could install it i bent my new pan and almost put a hole in it. Freakin rocks!!

Comment

Me too

I did the same thing to mine on Pumkin Eater.
      It's a fairly easy fix. I did it in my driveway.
      I ended up dropping the transfer case skid so I could unbolt the exhaust at the cat because it just wouldn't quite clear the oil pan. I didn't have to drop the starter though.

Took about an hour.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Clay View Post
        if you have access to a lift it will make it alot easier but its doable in your garage. Undo your exhaust from the header and it will drop enough to let you slide the pan out the front. drop your starter to access some of the pan bolts and keep track of where the bolts go , they're not all the same length. One more thing,..........get a SKID PLATE! I put a hole in mine,relaced the pan, ordered a skid plate and before i could install it i bent my new pan and almost put a hole in it. Freakin rocks!!
        Cool! Thank you. I know whhat you mean about the skid...those damn rocks. Why MUST I try to climb over 40" rocks when I KNOW my 33" tires won;t clear it. I guess it's the child inside me.

Comment

Originally posted by Dezertdog View Post
          I did the same thing to mine on Pumkin Eater.
          It's a fairly easy fix. I did it in my driveway.
          I ended up dropping the transfer case skid so I could unbolt the exhaust at the cat because it just wouldn't quite clear the oil pan. I didn't have to drop the starter though.

Took about an hour.

Scott
          An hour sounds good to me! Thanks. I just ordered a new pan from Ontario Jeep because I was unable to locate one at any yard that has the sensor on the side. Put a dent on the pocket for 160 plus oil and gasket.

Comment

I hope you get that pan changed out soon
            Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Do the rear main seal at the same time, because it will leak.

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/feature/r...-installation/
              [COLOR=blue]Chris[/COLOR]
              SAVE JOHNSON VALLEY!!! - CLICK HERE
              Ya Savvy?

Motech Performance

Comment

X2 on the rear main, it's easy and you will be there.
                :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

I took my jeep to Brothers 4x4 and had them replace it. I didn;t feel like spending time on the oil pan. All done and ready to go. The new oil pan looks so nice now I need to cover it. I think I'll take it to my dads metal shop and bolt on a metal sheet as a skid plate.

Comment

Shant, with your offroad driving style a good engine skid will be a wise investment. Not hart to make either make a nice skid from the engine all the way to the bellypan, while you are at it might as well make that a belly up also. Might help the rock diving technique

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                      Shant, with your offroad driving style a good engine skid will be a wise investment. Not hart to make either make a nice skid from the engine all the way to the bellypan, while you are at it might as well make that a belly up also. Might help the rock diving technique
                      Ya I think I can bolt it up to the frame from the engine area all the way to the transfer skid. I'm skilled with metal fabrication so I think I can handle that next week.

Art, check your PM.

-Shant

Comment

Shant,

You might just want to leave the BIGGEST rocks alone for a while. Ha, I know that will never happen. I need to check out what you come up with, thats the next un-protected area on my Jeep. Hope to see you on Tuesday.

Mitch

Comment

Engine skid

Yeah, after I changed my pan I got an engine skid from Rusty's off road. I like it but it took about 2" of clearance from me. It's gonna hit every rock out there. But at least it won't be my pan again!!

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Dezertdog View Post
                            Yeah, after I changed my pan I got an engine skid from Rusty's off road. I like it but it took about 2" of clearance from me. It's gonna hit every rock out there. But at least it won't be my pan again!!

Scott
                            Same thing with my Skid Row Skid that I just installed...the peice of mind is worth the loss of clearance for me and it should match up to most TTs out there which will pull the back end up a couple of inches at which point it won't hang so low.
                            That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Get the Nth, I lost maybe 1" of clearance and still have peace of mind!
                              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                              X