Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 YJ Fuel Injection Conversion

I have an 89 YJ. I think I am having a bunch of problems with my old carb (bad idle, will stall sometimes after starting or when not warm yet). So I really wanted to do a Fuel Injection swap. I had a few questions though.

1. What is a good model to use
    2. Where can I get it
    3. How much does it cost
    4. How hard is it to put in
    5. Would I have to buy any other accessories, or should it work puuurfecto

Thanks so much to any one that answers, Jon

In all honesty the stock factory port inkection for a YJ would be your best bet if you can find all the parts on the junkyard, you would need the intake manifold plus inkectors and fuel rail, wiring harness ecm, fuelpump, distributor and the hesco crank sensor setup. You could also try the howell or holley fuel injection setups

Comment

Jon,

I have an 88' YJ and a year ago replaced the motor (4.2 258) and added a Howell Fuel Injection System. The install was done by my mechanic (Ken www.thejeepguyonline.com). It is involved as much with the removal of unused old smog stuff, vacuum lines, ect... as it is with the addition of some tack welding of exhaust sensor mounts and mounting the new external fuel pump and lines. But what a difference in power, throttle control, and it has NEVER stalled at any angle! That was my worst fear, stalling on a hill and having to back down. I spent like $1200 for the kit, and the best one is the Multiport Mopar Injection system, up to 25HP but it is $2500.00.

Have fun

Mitch

Comment

I installed the Howell TBI CA kit on my 83 CJ7. Same motor, same carb you have. The install was very simple. It took me a total of like 5 hours, but a LOT of that was tracing every wire from my old computer to be sure I removed them all (my engine compartment was a mess of wires). It is all basically plug and play.

The drivability GREATLY increased. I can now stop on a steep hill and not work about it stalling, or I can stall it and it restarts right up. Cold mornings, no need to pump gas, it fires right up.

I had 1 issue with it, and it was running rich. My first outing, it kept flooding out on me on downhills. Made some adjustments per Howell. Fixed it. Then smog time comes, I failed miserably, because it was running so rich. Called Howell, gave them the # off my smog sheet, told him of my other problem of running rich that they solved, and he burned me a new chip...free. Passed smog with flying colors.

Unsure of your states emission laws, but look into the mc2100 carb. I have read it is a WHOLE lot better than the carter bbd. Unfortunately, here in smog nazi Ca, we can't use it!

Comment

X3 on the Howell FI kit for your engine. I had a friend who installed one on his 4.2L YJ engine and both his power and fuel economy substantially improved. Not to mention his reliabilty went way up and his engine stopped stalling out on steep trails.
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Yup on the Howell kit once its setup. It takes a bit of work to keep it from running rich and top stop pinging under light load. A friend of mine runs it on his CJ7. Had to mess with the fuel pressure and change chips twice and had to tinker a bit with the vacuum advance to stop the pinging. Once all that was done it runs pretty good and passes smog

Comment

Working...
            X