Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• wear safety glasses

I'm an aircraft mechanic so i should know better BUT like a noob i got bit tonight.

After several months of procrastination I finally went into the garage and fixed 2 stupid nutserts that hold my crossmember on the jeep. normally on a shortarmed tj, it wouldnt be a biggie. I dont have a shortarm.. What a PITA!~

Anyways, i had to pull both left lower arms off the skid, remove the skid and brackets, grind off the welds on the nutserts and get em out(EASIER SAID THAN DONE), theN weld new ones in and re-install.

all was going amazingly well and fast..

got to the welding and about 1/2 way through a cherry went into my shoe.. #$#@$, i reached in and pulled/threw it out. need i say that it burned the shiet out of my finger and ankle bone..

then after i got it all back together after about 2 hrs (lol) i was on my back using a 1/2 rachet and a wrench to tighten some bolts. NO SAFETY GOGGLES. the rachet slipped off the bolt head and it fell with force right into my left eye. i let out a primal scream, more due to the suprise and pain... didnt hurt after about 4 seconds.. close call. put on the safeties. then about 3 minutes later my eye was itchy so i took off the glasses and i rubbed my under eye area. my hand was full of blood. GREAT. i go inside to see it and i had split my "bags under the eye" wide open. great. peroxide, bandaid and finished the job. debating if i need stitches but prob. not..

anyways .. lesson of the day children... WEAR YOUR SAFETY GOOGLES.
    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

This sounds like something that would happen to me!

I'm going to share this story with my staff at the next safety meeting!!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Comment

X2. I wear either safety glasses or a full face shield for anything obviously dangerous but where I get bit (to use your word) is when I crawl under the Jeep to do something "non-dangerous". That's when I'll bump or scrape something and get an eye full of dirt that ends up under the lid. One of these days I'll end up with a scratched eyeball but I'm getting better about wearing the glasses underneath now. My TJ just has too much dirt and mud caked on under there, it's an eye injury waiting to happen.

One more thing since we're on the subject of our eyes... if anyone is looking to buy a new autodarkening welding helmet, make sure it is an auto-on type without an on-off switch like my older Hobart helmet has. If I haven't used the helmet for a while and don't push the On button again, my eyes get flashed because it "timed out" and turned itself off. Having to push the tiny On button inside the helmet is a PITA while wearing welding gloves. Heck not even my back-up cheapy Harbor Freight Tools auto-darkening helmet has to be turned on with a switch. What's up Hobart!?
      Last edited by Jerry Bransford; 10-29-08, 11:16 AM.
      The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

This is the 3rd or 4th advisory I've read about wearing safety glasses this week.

I always wear my ballistic sun glasses at work, but must admit that I skimp when at home in the garage. After the 2nd story I read...I'm happy to report that I'm wearing them in the garage now regularly. The 2nd story I read involved battery acid. Ick.
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I have safety sunglasses as well. comes in handy. I wear them inside and outside.

my apprentice didnt want to wear glasses till he broke off a drill bit. bounced and went between his nose and eyelid.

now he wears glasses.
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Last weekend I was grinding on something and the grinder wheel let go. It literally exploded and shot up and destroyed the overhead flourescent light bulbs. I was wearing my poly-carbonate ballistic sunglasses (I NEVER forget when I'm grinding) and was verythinkful. I didn't get hurt, but it could have been very, very bad. The one thing I knew, though, was that my eyes would have been ok.

Like everyone else, though, I always have to have a piece of dirt fall on my face to remind me to put on glasses before I crawl under the Jeep. I'm getting better, though.
            '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

Make sure the glasses fit tight and dont fall from your eyes. I was grinding and my glasses sliped down and a peice of metal went in my eye. All and all it was a big hassle and cost me more than i wanted. I could of bought a premium set of glasses for all the money, time and pain I spent.

Comment

Working...
              X