Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slid on my diff

Changing the gear oil in my rear differential I noticed that i had it it a few times on some rocks. The cover fits the housing just fine now, but I could see a problem with another cover. What is the best way to handle this? I'm thinking of taking a fine file out and remove the excess metal...

you need to be more descriptive, or post up a picture of the problem you are having.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

ROCK RASH. It was a rock, get over it
      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Wolf,

If you're not leaking anything, it's probably nothing to worry about. If you throw up a pic it would be a lot easier to know what you mean. Plenty of people here have scraped the pumpkin a few times. I think almost everyone has some kind of easy-out to remove the odd shaped bolt heads associated with a little serious wheeling.

Sounds like you had some fun. I wanna see the post where it happened with pictures!
        [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
        Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

assuming its the rear diff remove the burrs on the gasket side of the cover and if need be shop for a diff sliderwill help you hop over rocks easier and will keep the rear cover from peeling open and leaking

Comment

The diff on my old rear d44 was worn down so bad from rock rash that when I put a new diff cover on it, I had to grind 1/4" off the bottom of the lip just to get it to fit. It's not a problem. Just a side-effect of wheeling.
            '96 XJ, HP D30 front, XJ D44 rear, Lockright/E-Locker, 4.56's, Cobra CB, 33" Pro Comp xTreme MT's, SYE, Smittybilt XRC10 winch with Synth Rope, mutt lift.

Comment

my buddy had that same problem with his cj. we fixed it the mudbogger way...2 and ahalf ton rockwells and 44inch swampers. if his diff hits now, hes doin some CRAZY stuff. then again we dont have rocks here, but like tree stumps and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by peteyg View Post
                The diff on my old rear d44 was worn down so bad from rock rash that when I put a new diff cover on it, I had to grind 1/4" off the bottom of the lip just to get it to fit. It's not a problem. Just a side-effect of wheeling.
                That's the answer I was looking for. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                X