Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Camping gear and Jeep - how do you fit it?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping gear and Jeep - how do you fit it?

This weekend I got to go out and play in Calico. We took the wife's Jeep. It was our first time trying to fit all the camping gear a family of 4 brings along.

So having attempted this on a simple & local run, I'm wondering how on earth you guys fit enough gear for varied temperatures, more overnights (more food) and then have room for tools and parts, fluids, etc... for trails like the Rubicon? How do you do it?

Here is what I was able to fit, maximizing every square inch of my LJ. This does not include tools or parts!

...of course, probably would not need the ammo can, shotgun and case of sporting clays for a Rubicon run. But still, that does not account for additional space I figure I'd need.

Is it just unreasonable to try to do this with 4 people on board?
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

man I thought I was packed with only me.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

have you thought of a small utility trailer to tow to the camp site then leave for when you go wheelin. and just keep the tools and parts and recovery gear, and some food and water on the jeep for what you might consume during the day. seeing as how there is 4 people, and a tent and what not. just my 2 cents

Comment

The shotgun and ammo are the most important items in that whole lot. btw have you seen the hills have eyes youll now what I mean J/K LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
          I'm wondering how on earth you guys fit enough gear for varied temperatures, more overnights (more food) and then have room for tools and parts, fluids, etc... for trails like the Rubicon? How do you do it?
          Depending on the mood, I take either one of these

[COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Next time I load out for a trip (Tday in Death Valley coming up) I'll take some pictures. It helps to get a full net system that attaches to the roll cage. Once the bottom of the Jeep is full, start stacking and trap it all in the netting. I've carried way more than I need (including tools, spare parts and fluids)Ice for four days, food, mess equipment, clothes, sleeping gear, tents, air mattress, and on and on... Can't forget the fishing gear, whew. It's doable, but with four people, you'll really need to get creative. Stuart does it, makes it look easy. One other thing; if you're trekking with others, share the equipment. We share stoves,tables, pots and pans, we share cooking duties (each person/jeep makes breakfast/lunch/dinner). That way everyone can pack lighter and everything still gets done. Share the chores man, it makes it way more fun and pleasurable for everyone.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
              I'll take it... How much?

To the OP (nwoods):
              I have one of these, which helps:
              http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=34313

I just bought a small 4x8 flat utility trailer that I may "rig" to haul our camping stuff and be easily left at camp, not in tow. Obviously my two solutions don't work unless it's base-camp type spots, so no rubi runs...
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

I really like this one! I like the Campo's, and AT's, but they are very expensive and a little big for my tastes. I don't need a $2,000 roof tent, as it would fit my family of 4 all that well anyway.

That little trailer is very cool!

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post

TreadLightly Trainer
                HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                  Next time I load out for a trip (Tday in Death Valley coming up) I'll take some pictures. It helps to get a full net system that attaches to the roll cage. Once the bottom of the Jeep is full, start stacking and trap it all in the netting.
                  I sorta did this to fit the gear in the photo. I stacked the camp chairs to the sides of the rear seat on top of the wheel wells, and bungie corded them to the bows of the softop to hold them off the rear seat occupants.

Then I ran a rachet strap from the tiedowns behind each side of the rear seat up to the a roofing crossbar in the soft top, and then made a web of bungies horizontally between the verticle rachet straps. This held back all the sleeping mats and sleeping bags from falling in on the rear seat occupants. Everything else was stacked, stuff, and strapped in the back pretty securely. No squeaks or rattles. PIA to access stuff though, with only the right side rear window zipper working....

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
                  One other thing; if you're trekking with others, share the equipment. We share stoves,tables, pots and pans, we share cooking duties (each person/jeep makes breakfast/lunch/dinner). That way everyone can pack lighter and everything still gets done. Share the chores man, it makes it way more fun and pleasurable for everyone.
                  This is a really really REALLY good idea.

TreadLightly Trainer
                  HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

If you would rather not tow a trailer, there are some nice roof racks on the market that can be removed fairly easy. Add to that an after market spare tire carrier that carries two Jerry cans (one for water & one for gas or two waters) and a rack above the spare. These two items can add a lot of storage.

As far as trailers go, with a family of four, a tent trailer may make life easier. They are light weight, easy to tow, good visibility for lane changes,and can easily sleep four. This also gives you a place for your family to get out of the weather if need be. They usually have a stove, porta potty, dining table, and an ice box.
                    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                    MJR moderator
                    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                    Jeep Patrol Leader
                    Reforestation Supervisor
                    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                    Eagle Scout

Comment

I do have a tire rack with storage basket above the tire, though I need to add the Jerry can holders on each wing. I stowed a medium sized Action Packer full of fire wood and a 2 burner Coleman campstove in the box, then added my small blue cooler and an ARB recovery bag with shackles, gloves, straps, and winch controller.

TreadLightly Trainer
                      HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

you have too much junk. thin out what you are bringing and you'll be much better off.
                        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Nathan,

The photo of all your "stuff" didn't show the storage rack! Sorry!
                          SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
                          MJR moderator
                          MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
                          Jeep Patrol Leader
                          Reforestation Supervisor
                          Licensed Ham - n6ujm
                          Eagle Scout

Comment

i traded the tj for the 4door
                            [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
                              you have too much junk. thin out what you are bringing and you'll be much better off.
                              Erik? You didn't mention the travel twinkie! We need to spring-over that bad boy and put some 33's on it!

:thumbs_up Go Spartan, that's what Barb and I do. It's those miserable, wet, cold nights that the kids will remember forever!
                              [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
                              Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                              X