Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by curtis View Post
    Put my EBC pads on today what a differance! They lock up my 35's so they should work on 37's. Again thanks guys!
    No problem. It's always fun to see people face when they hear a set of 35 locking up. Did you break them in properly?

I got the yellowstuff # DP41255R. They say they work better in the cold.
    The freaky thing about the EBC pads is that they blow every other pad on the very first stop. Even when cold, they stop better than most when warm. From the time you get in your Jeep, you have excellent brakes.

The Yellow ones are even better in the way that if you keep you foot at a constant pressure, they grab more and more as you get to a complete stop. The first time I tried them, I kept stopping about 10 ft short of the intersection. My "co-pilot" (who is of the vocal type) kept laughing and asking me what was wrong with me.

I've had the Vanco 16" kit and the Green pads for nearly 2 years, and it still amazes me how well the TJ stops. The only thing I have to be careful with is what is in my rear view mirror, people don't realize how fast I can stop and a few get caught off guard.

On the road, I've put them through their paces, driving like a lunatic and hitting the brakes, locking them up, hot weather, cold weather, up and down the mountain driving like a bat out of hell, up and down the mountain towing a 2,000 lbs trailer, etc... Each time they performed and I have never noticed any brake fade. Offroad, my Jeep doesn't drive through the brakes, I can hold it anywhere.
    Last edited by Lawrence; 10-26-08, 09:03 AM.
    [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

It takes longer to break the pads in then it does to put them on. I also put on there stock rotors.They cost half what the pads do
      IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

Comment

sadly.... I toasted my yellowstuff pads when my brake booster/(3)master cylinders/ prop valve decided to take a poop. They still stop, but not NEARLY what they should. Ill be ordering some new ones sometime soon
        [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

It takes longer to break the pads in then it does to put them on.
          Yes they do, but if you break them in properly, they'll rock.
          [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
            Plan on changing those rotors with the next brake job. More agressive brakes eat rotors. Good thing rotors are cheap.
            That's odd, when we did all the pad testing on Lawrence's rig, we went through many sets of pads and never even wore a rotor down far enough so you could tell they weren't new.

Contrary to the myth you're spewing, today's pads are of the friction layer transfer technology and have been for many years.

Tranfer layer technology means that the pads actually tranfer a layer of friction material to the rotor during the bedding and break-in process. During braking, that layer gets used and replenished, so quite the opposite of what you're saying, the rotors actually last longer than they used to. Having seen many sets of rotors with near a 100,000 miles on them, I'll think I'll stick with my version of things.

And since we're specifically dealing with the EBC yellow pads, I've had them on Kat's rig for about 20,000 miles and there is no discernible wear on the rotors, which were on there for quite awhile when we were testing another aggressive pad, the EBC greens.
            I am Savvy.

Comment

Working...
            X