Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• brakes

Any comments or suggestions on EBC or hawk Brake pads and rotors? I hear EBC green pads are good and they both have sloted rotors.
    IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Better To Burn Out Than To Rust Out!

PM sent.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by curtis View Post
      Any comments or suggestions on EBC or hawk Brake pads and rotors? I hear EBC green pads are good and they both have sloted rotors.
      Although they are not cheap, EBC green pads are far superior than others, and the yellow ones are even better. Save your money and forget about slotted rotors, I tried a set and noticed absolutely zero improvement in braking efficiency, and 15 minutes later they came off the Jeep.
      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Ditto on the advice by Lawrence to avoid rotors with slots, dimples, or cross-drilling. Contrary to the hype, they don't do a thing to improve the braking on a Jeep.
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Who is a good supplier for the yellow pads?
          IN A LAND OF FREEDOM WE ARE HELD HOSTAGE BY THE TYRANNY OF POLITICAL CORRECTNESS!!

Comment

Who is a good supplier for the yellow pads?
            http://www.thepartsbin.com/ and http://www.brakewarehouse.com/. I understand Brake Warehouse has them in stock right now.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys!

Comment

My understanding on slotted and cross drilled rotors was just too help the rotors with better air flow to help cooling efficency under heavy braking. Probably helps counteract brake fade also too an extent. Remember agrresive pads that improve braking distance also eat rotors faster too.

Comment

Removing mass from the rotors actually reduces their ability to cool, plus it weakens them... not to mention that slots can actually shave brake pad material off.

Drilling and slots were actually tried to help reduce off-gassing from the pads when they were red-hot from high-speed track racing conditions... not something our Jeeps commonly get involved in. Racers have mostly stopped using that kind of rotor since off-gassing is no longer the issue with newer pads that it used to be.

Comment

One of the reasons ffor slotted and driller rotors is to break the water film that can build up during heavy rain and such hit some major puddles and try to do an emergency stop right after its just not going to happen till it breaks the water film. Not really a big problem in our neck of the woods

Comment

Put my EBC pads on today what a differance! They lock up my 35's so they should work on 37's. Again thanks guys!

Comment

Put my EBC pads on today what a differance! They lock up my 35's so they should work on 37's. Again thanks guys!
                        Which ones did you get?
                        Greenstuff 2000 series?
                        Greenstuff 6000 series?
                        Greenstuff 7000 series?
                        Yellowstuff 4000 series?
                        Redstuff 3000 series?
                        Bluestuff 5000 series?
                        (according to the EBC website, only the 4000, 6000 and 7000 series are available for a TJ)
                        If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                        KI6MLU

Comment

Plan on changing those rotors with the next brake job. More agressive brakes eat rotors. Good thing rotors are cheap.

Comment

I got the yellowstuff # DP41255R. They say they work better in the cold.

Comment

Another source for good braking www.vancopbs.com I have installed these kits on numerous jeeps and have had excellent results.

I have actually met Van and he is very knowledgable with kit systems.

Stu-offroad has written up a few articles also about these systems.......
                              www.stu-offroad.com

Brett
                              offroadwerkz.com
                              (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Working...
                              X