Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I need a transmission recommendation

I have a 2.5L 92 YJ. The transfer case the NP231 with the Teralow 4:1. Currently I am on my third AX-5 manual transmission, which is the stock tranny. It just broke...again.

Obviously its time to try something else. I need a recommendation on what to put in its place. My overall considerations are these:

1. I want to continue to use the NP231/Teralow transfer case.

2. I don't want the new transmission to be substantially longer than the AX5.

3.I would like the replacement to have a deeper first gear than does the AX5.

4. I want to stay manual.

Anyone have an idea of what to use?
    92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

what is your budget? do you want new or something you can make work?
    if the budget is high, go for one of these:
    http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jee...ons/nv4500.php
    or, you might consider the automatic. i'm not sure how it would do on the street for you though.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

can you use a s-10 blazer 2.8 or 4.3 trans like 87-88 ish, i believe some of them had 5 spds in them. Check advanced adapters web site. I Just sold my 89 2.5 trans, might be able to get it back.......
      The Second Amendment protects all the rest!

HI-LIFTS never go jeepin without it

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
        what is your budget? do you want new or something you can make work?
        if the budget is high, go for one of these:
        http://www.quadratec.com/advisor/jee...ons/nv4500.php
        or, you might consider the automatic. i'm not sure how it would do on the street for you though.
        My budget is "I'm sick and tired of replacing my transmission". That being said I'll spend what I need to spend to do it. I've been reading up on the NV3550. That seems to be a common replacement.
        92 YJ, 35s, Atlas 4 speed 10:1, 4.88s SYE, RE 4.5 XD, 2' BL, D44s, Alloys shafts, Lockers, Snorkel, skid plates, roll cage, winch

Comment

Why not go with the AX-15? Arent they a direct swap?
          |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by swbooking View Post
            Why not go with the AX-15? Arent they a direct swap?
            I've got to replace the AX-5 in my wifes '93 2.5 YJ. Is the AX-15 a direct replacement?
            "Good Girls and Dirty Jeeps" a song by Opal Justice http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xRtRE45OVQ

Comment

Apparently it is an easy swap and the AX-15 is pretty damn good up untill you start getting crazy with huge tires. I run my AX-15 with 35s about 1000 miles a month and it has given me no problems whatsoever.

Heres a link to the swap on NAXJA. Should be the same for a Wrangler...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=956031
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I'd go with an AX-15 Paul. Advance Adapters can hook you up with an adapter, plus you'll need a 21 spline input shaft for it since the AX-15 is a 23 spline tranny. The latest issue of Jp Magazine that just arrived talks about that mod for a paragraph or so in their 20 Most Frequently Asked Questions article.
                The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

What is breaking in all those trannys?

Any updates?

Comment

I am the one who replaced his transmission. I recommended an
                    ax15 with the adaptors for the t-case, but budget did not allow it at this time. So we replaced it with a good used ax5. He will replace it in the future. We just needed to get it on the road again. The problem is the ax5 mainshaft is breaking due to the load of 35" tires. Ax5 transmissions are good up to 32" tires but after that they are a timebomb ready to break.

The ax15 transmission is so good that Toyota has been using them for years in thier trucks. It is a Japanese made aison/borg warner designed unit that can take alot of horsepower without issues.
                    offroadwerkz.com
                    (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Working...
                    X