Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What a nightmare

ok, so I wrecked my beautiful dark green cherokee, wrapped it around a telephone pole cause it swung sideways in wet weather going around a long turn, slide 50 yards sideways, up a concrete embankment, and into a pole on the passenger side...

Anywho, I pulled the motor out of it, and rebuilt it and put it into another cherokee. Except this cherokee is an automatic, and not a manual...which the green one was.

Well, lemme say it's been a nightmare getting this thing to just run...and it still doesn't run right.

It has NO and I mean NO torque. Seems to have plenty of power, just no torque. Even in wet weather I can't get the wheels to even think of spinning. It refuses to rev past 3300 RPMs, and doesn't like to downshift when I need it to, and when it does I'm basically flooring it so it drops from say 3rd gear to 1st and the motor just sits there and pops at 3300rpms while it tries to go into gear. There's nothing wrong with the transmission it would seem because on acceleration it shifts wonderfully. When I slowing down and it drops a gear on its own it shifts smoothly. Not only that but it starts rough. When I go to start the Jeep it will turn over the first hit of the key, but the motor stumbles, almost dies, and then it will pick back up and idle just fine. When I drive it somewhere, if it's been sitting for more than ten minutes and less than...um...overnight, it refuses to start. It's only after turning the key some 10 or 11 times and lightly pressing the accelerator now and again can I coax the thing into starting, when it finally does start it idles fine, and drives noticeably better than if it were to start after sitting for an extended period of time. The temperature gauge doesn't work and the oil pressure guage doesn't work.

I've put the rebuilt motor in it, put another transmission in it because the tranny that it came with was shot, I've put a new fuel pump in it, new spark plugs, new air filter, tried the computer from the manual...ran like crud, tried the computer it came with...runs like it does now.

So what I'm asking is...what do I need to do to get this lame cherokee to run like the champ I wrecked?
    WTF Mate?

Confucious Say: He who stand on toilet...is high on pot.

______
    [_____]
    (HllllllllH) vroom VROOM
    []--o---[]

You checked all the basics? Compression, engine vacuum, cam timing, ignition timing fuel pressure and exhaust back pressure? Also is the converter stall speed where it should be?

Comment

Working...
    X