Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 4.2 Carb upgrade

There's a guy on E-Bay Motors that sells replacement carborator kits for 4.2L 6cyl engines.

I know a lot of you are waaaaay smarter than I am and I would appreciate your comments after reading his write up at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Motor...mZ220288543931

Thanks!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

I can't get into eBay right now, but I think this is the MC2100 upgrade that I did for my YJ. Now here's the catch. If you have to smog, it's NOT going to pass [from what I had read]. I have my YJ registered in Michigan, so I'm good. He said his kit would work with smogging, but the visual inspection is what I heard you won't pass.

As far as function is concerned, I have seen an increase in power and driveability on increased angles. It didn't completely fix the problems with stalling at higher angles for me, but the YJ has other issues which help contribute to that also. Overall, I think it was a nice upgrade, couple it with an HEI distributor and it works very well.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

Roger, the 2100 is a great carb. Read up about it on CJOFFROAD.COM A lot of info there. You want to be sure you get the right jets. It is a big step above the Carter BBD.

When you're ready for the best step above the Carter...call me!

It is not smog legal (the 2100). You may pass a sniffer, but you will not pass visual.

Some bandaids for your carter, until you upgrade:
      1) Nutter bypass. I kept all the wires taped in the loom, so a smog inspector could not see I bypassed the computer that was controlling the carter so badly. I passed the sniffer with flying colors.

2) TFI. About $100 worth of tuneup parts, and it really adds some power and economy. I was unsure if the coil would have caused smog issues, so I put stock coil back on for smog test. I drove out to Red Rock with stock coil. My Jeep lacked a lot of power, and I almost had to shift to 3rd on the 14 freeway going over the pass! MPG was 11.5 on the highway. Put high-output coil back in, and 2 weeks later, back out to Red Rock. Pulled the grade easily in 4th, and got 16 MPG on the highway.

If you want some help with either of these, PM me.

Comment

I'll second the TFI upgrade. It made a HUGE improvement in the driveability of my Jeep when I had the Carter carb.

Then... I fuel injected it. Best thing I ever did for my Jeep

Comment

Working...
        X