Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Changing the Turn Signal Switch

Today I changed the turn signal switch in my CJ7. Now I will be the first to admit that I'm no mechanic! In fact I suck at mechanical work. Gimme a skil saw & nail bags any day! But I'm 1/2 Scot & 1/2Swede so you know how cheap I am.

I ordered a new turn signal switch & a dimmer switch from Morris 4x4 (for the 10% discount). My order promptly arrived and I was ready for the blessed day of installing it.

My Cj has an after-market steering wheel - a Grant that is attached with 5 allen flathead screws. This is where it started to get fun. One of the screws was stripped out. So I ran out and bought a screw extractor For $15.00 USD. That didn't work, so I drilled it out to where the head popped off and left 1/8" of thread sticking out. I was able to remove the screw remains by claming it in my big bench vise.

The adaptor for the steering wheel required a 3 hole wheel puller where my Haynes book showed two. So I couldn't use the puller I borrowed from my son. So I called my father-in-law to borrow one and he said no problem. So I ran down to his house and he couldn't find it. So I ran down to NAPA and paid $25.00 USD for a new one which I will probably never need again.

So I finally removed all the pieces including brackets under the dash and put the new switch back in. While reassemblying the parts, I needed to push a couple of parts in against a spring that was held in by a keeper. What a struggle that was! I could have used a third hand.

Oh and I was really good about putting all the screws, bolts, etc, in a plastic carton. It is not good when you bump it with your elbow and they all go flying around the Jeep and landing on black carpet.

I finally got everthing reassmbled and tested it. Everything worked great including the fact that I now have two brake lights.

Many of you informed me on various runs that I only had one brake light. I think it was Dirtman 13 - Chuck from Santa Ana that told me if I wiggled the turn signal switch up & down it would fix the brake lights. Chuck's remedy only lasted a short while and always reverted back to One brake light operation. Based on Chuck's remedy and the fact that my original turn signal switch never felt right, I decided to change it out.

I should mention that I started this project at 8:30 AM and finished about 3:45 PM with a break for lunch.

Next time I have a project like this I think I'll ask around if someone wants to trade for carpentry work. But all's well that ends well... But it was pretty stressful! Oh yeah, the dimmer switch only took 5 minutes to replace!
    SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
    MJR moderator
    MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
    Jeep Patrol Leader
    Reforestation Supervisor
    Licensed Ham - n6ujm
    Eagle Scout

Roger,

Glad to hear all ended up well. No tow truck needed. I'll miss you Saturday Night at the meeting.

Mitch

Comment

Brake Lights

Now I won't have anything to rag on you about. Glad it turned out alright. Getting to the turn signal is half the battle, the switch change out is minor. The other half is putting the steering column and the wheel back together.
      Roger don't feel too bad when I got home from our tour of JV I noticed my alternater wasn't charging. Took me six hours for a one hour job to change it out. and there was no lunch break.
      George

Comment

Mitch - I got lucky this time, no tow truck needed!

George - No lunch?? say it ain't so!
        SBCO Fire Dept. CERT volunteer
        MJR moderator
        MJR Adopt-a-Trail Crew member
        Jeep Patrol Leader
        Reforestation Supervisor
        Licensed Ham - n6ujm
        Eagle Scout

Comment

Good job Roger. I'm going to do it the easy way and go see my mechcanic. I got a bunch of play in my steering wheel after an incident on Holcolm during the AAT clean up. And I'll get the broken turn signal / wiper arm replaced at the same time.

Mitch

Comment

Working...
          X