Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spring Over?

Hey all... I am considering doing the spring over lift on my 83 CJ-7... Anyone have any [COLOR="Green"]experience[/COLOR], [COLOR="Blue"]advice[/COLOR], [COLOR="Red"]warnings[/COLOR], etc. to share? Please do! Thanks!
    Regards,
    Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

www.youtube.com/user/MyBrokenJeep

You're a pretty educated guy. I'm sure you've done some research and heard all about the pitfalls of 'springwrap', 'bump steer' and need for the extra mods that come with spring-over. I have no personal experience with it, but ruled it out a while back. After speaking with Rick, I've also decided not to modify my springs to do a shackle reversal.

good luck, hope you find what you're looking for.
    [COLOR="darkred"]"Death Smiles at Everyone... Marines Smile Back."
    Adopt-a-Trail Member.[/COLOR]

Comment

I will say this. We did a spring over on my cousins CJ and on my scrambler. It is a can o worms. (Villa) on here just kept his 4.5 RE kit and he flexes as much as we did.. So I would really think about why you are doing it. But if you decide like us you like taking things and making them more difficult. Well then come on over and have a drink of your choice and lets chat.
      Head nut at Outdoorlogic
      Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials
      www.facebook.com/outdoorlogic

Comment

Originally posted by jimmyrig View Post
        I will say this. We did a spring over on my cousins CJ and on my scrambler. It is a can o worms. (Villa) on here just kept his 4.5 RE kit and he flexes as much as we did.. So I would really think about why you are doing it. But if you decide like us you like taking things and making them more difficult. Well then come on over and have a drink of your choice and lets chat.
        I like the way you put that. Spell it out but let a beer and a freind help you decide. Sweet!
        [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
        [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
        http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Jimmy... let's do get together for a beer! Would really like to hear first hand your experience... My primary reason for thinking this way is more clearance... I want to go with 35's and know that they would not clear under my current configuration. Heck, my 33's rub the fender well now in the front...

Are you heading to FITD? I am thinking of making a day of it (Saturday) and riding with a friend of mine...

Thanks! Anyone else with ideas or opinions?
          Regards,
          Randy

"An army of asses led by a lion is better than an army of lions led by an ass" George Washington

Comment

Why are you looking at doing a spring over? If your looking for more flex and a higher ride height you might consider RE 4.5 springs or a nice custom set from Deaver Suspension. I would be careful how high you go with stock CJ axles.
            Check out .

Comment

Some folks just do the spring over in the front. To help alleviate axle wrap in the rear. If you do the steering linkage needs a rework to control bump steer.
              A friend of mine runs the re 4.5 lift springs on his CJ7 and has been fighting axle wrap ever since the thing goes all over the place by hitting the gas and letting of you can literally steer the Jeep this way not fun at all

Comment

Originally posted by aw12345 View Post
                Some folks just do the spring over in the front. To help alleviate axle wrap in the rear. If you do the steering linkage needs a rework to control bump steer.
                A friend of mine runs the re 4.5 lift springs on his CJ7 and has been fighting axle wrap ever since the thing goes all over the place by hitting the gas and letting of you can literally steer the Jeep this way not fun at all
                I had the same problem. Mostly with the rear cause I carry to much crap. I'm having the springs reworked by Deaver.
                Check out .

Comment

I am SOA with stock YJ springs. I have an extra YJ main leaf in the back springs. I have spring wrap, I have a MORE bar for that. I like the extra lift, I like the softer ride, it took a lot of extra time and money but it works.
                  I don't have stock steering, drive lines, axles, springs, shocks, brake hoses, park brake cables... and I do have HI steer.
                  Bottom line, lots of work, lots of money, lots of time.
                  1956 Willys Wagon restomod

Comment

This says it all If 35s is your goal there are much cheaper ways to make that happen

Hey I'm always happy to share a beer. I don't know If I will make the trip..Moving into the new house over the next couple of weeks. What axles are you running? Going to 35s will mean a little more then fender trimming. (to do it right) That in itself may just open up a huge can of worms.... See here’s how it goes

1. Hmm I need 35s
                    2. Crap my jeep doesn't run to good I need gears
                    3. Man now I am breaking shafts... Time to go to Dana 44s ohh and lockers
                    4. Oh I just got a deal on a set of 39.5s now I need a 60/14 bolt combo
                    5. Oops motor is shot need a V8

Disclaimer this may just be me:yay:
                    Head nut at Outdoorlogic
                    Like us on face book to get updates about local runs, and monthly sales specials

Comment

1. Hmm I need 35s
                      [COLOR="Red"]6. 39s are to small I want 44s
                      7. now I need Rockwells
                      8. Oh lets 4-link it
                      9. now Its green sticker only...........[/COLOR]
                      Fixed it

Think about what you want to use the rig for (trail only, DD, trail & driver etc) then build it for those needs. Buy GOOD parts and think ahead before you build. just my .02
                      Its no fun without family

Comment

This says it all If 35s is your goal there are much cheaper ways to make that happen

Hey I'm always happy to share a beer. I don't know If I will make the trip..Moving into the new house over the next couple of weeks. What axles are you running? Going to 35s will mean a little more then fender trimming. (to do it right) That in itself may just open up a huge can of worms.... See here’s how it goes

1. Hmm I need 35s

Disclaimer this may just be me:yay:
                        Jimmy, running D44's front and rear now both with Detroit Lockers... 350 Chev, EFI, Turbo 350 (3spd) out of a 2000 Chev. C2500... I am not sure what the axles themselves are... How would I figure this out?

As for the purpose of the rig... I do not anticipate this being a daily driver, but I do not want to Green Sticker it... I would like to be able to do the great majority of trails we have here in So Cal... all the Big Bear trails seem to be no problem as it sits right now... haven't tried the Calico trails, those are next... and we plan to run the Rubicon and Dusy Ershim next year... So, not trying to build a professional rock crawler, but do want to do a bit of crawling.... not sure that makes sense or not...

Thanks,
                        Last edited by MyBrokenJeep; 09-22-08, 08:04 AM.
                        Regards,
                        Randy

Comment

Well you have an awesome base. I honestly would not touch it. I keep messing with my stuff cause well I fab. If I did not I would have been done long ago. There will come a point where you will be over built. The local trails will not be that fun. I say wait and wheel it a bit the way it sits. Then when your ready skip the spring over crap and go coil overs
                          Head nut at Outdoorlogic

Comment

You can run the BOM # to figure out what axles you have (BOM = Bill of Materials)
                            Head nut at Outdoorlogic

Comment

Working...
                            X