Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HID replacement headlights for Jeep Wrangler?

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HID replacement headlights for Jeep Wrangler?

One of the best upgrades I did for my LR3 was upgrade the headlamps with H7 HID bulbs. So much better!

I'd like to do the same with my Jeep (2005 Rubicon Unlimited). These appear to be sealed beam headlamps, so a simple bulb and ballast swap is not going to do it. Does anyone know of a OEM style replacement that upgrades the existing mediocre halogens to clean white HID's?

Thanks in advance.
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Don't know about HID, but I did upgrade to IPF H4 Fatboys and let me tell you I can see a long way down the road. Make sure that you install the upgraded wiring and loom if your new lights are more powerful and recommend them; keeps from burning up the factory wires (potential fire) and also allows the new lights to reach their designed intensity. On my set I had to buy the headlamps, the bulbs, and the wiring. Install was about an hour.

Comment

One problem with using HID bulbs with standard headlight lenses: they'll blind the hell out of oncoming drivers. HID should only be used with lenses made to focus the light down low on low beam, so as not to do that. You'll notice that's the case with vehicles that actually come stock with HID headlights.

I recently updated my headlights with a Delta Tech xenon(non-hid) kit. They're a lot brighter, clearer, and better focused than my old halogens were. They're also a lot cheaper than a quality HID kit. Because of the lens design, I would actually consider trying HID with these. Due to the lens/ reflector design, I would actually consider trying HID with these. I recently got an HID kit, but I'm going to set it up with my offroad lights. I've got a spare set of the headlights, so if you're interested, PM me.
      holes = cowbell

Comment

I opted to go with the IPF setup. IPF headlamp replacements, an ARB M002 harness upgrade and a pair of their fatboy H4 bulbs. I got them from Sierra Expeditions, it was under $200, and they shipped them extremely fast. Going to do the install tomorrow morning I hope.

TreadLightly Trainer
        HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Cool, I'm sure you'll like those.
          holes = cowbell

Comment

I installed the headlamp upgrades today. The (single) instruction page leaves a lot to be desired for someone not particularly mechanically inclined and generally scared of being a human toaster. The included wiring diagram was clearly not written by the same folks who did the instructions, because no attempt was made to label the parts consistently or even to show all of the connectors on it.

However, it wasn't all that hard. The harness has three connectors, and the fuse block has three connectors. I figured out that two of the three harness connectors fitted onto the new headlamps, and the third plugged into one of the existing harness connectors.

I have not figured out a need for the three connectors coming from the fuse block, but everything is working without them being connected, so perhaps they are for future use on an expanded harness (more lights)?

It took less than 2 hours, and that we me going very slowly and trying several different locations for the fuse block and harness routing. I also managed to drop a battery terminal nut under the battery, so I had to spend 15 minutes or so removing the battery to find the nut and then put it all back together. Nothing simple is ever easy!

TreadLightly Trainer
            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Working...
            X