Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cracked tranny housing

dont know how bad this is.

I saw this when I was getting under pulling gas lines off and stuff. Nothing is leaking. Looks like I might just patch it up and get a skid under there.

Also my oil pan has a hair line hole in it where the skid was rubbing it. oil pan can easily be pulled and sealed up. Skid is bent but still usable.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Hey Josh,

That is just the bell housing of the transmission. It protects the flywheel and clutch assy. You can leave it alone and it will be fine. My sugesstion is to install a skid plate. Check out skidrow 4x4 skid plates they have one to protect the trans and oil pan.

Brett
    offroadwerkz.com
    (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Josh its no problem however I would take a die grinder with a carbide bit and grind all the sharp edges away essentially making it something like a round hole so cracks will not develop from any sharp edge after doing this the trans housing will outlive your jeep

Comment

Is that an emp Extreme metal products oil pan skid if so how do you like it.I was looking at their gas tank skid.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeeperator View Post
          Is that an emp Extreme metal products oil pan skid if so how do you like it.I was looking at their gas tank skid.
          actually an old genright skid. I just turned it around. It did it's job but will find a full engine skid here soon.

I will repair this later this week and post up what I did.
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Smooth it and plug it with JB-Weld. I'd keep an eye on it though and if a crack starts developing, have it welded by someone who knows what they're doing since aluminum isn't easily welded properly.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

got it all smoothed out. had to remove all the cracked and broken pieces. I will seal it up tomorrow. Hole grinded out to about 1 1/2 to 2 inches long. Oval.
              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

as long as there are no sharp corners it will be allright

Comment

Cracked House

Josh,
                  Sounds like you got it handled, but check this out!

http://www.rubiconownersforum.com/ph...p?f=23&t=59393

Best, Max7
                  "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!" - Benjamin Franklin

Comment

Max the damage to yours is more structural than what Josh has going on. His is just a hole in the clutch area is not a structural problem. As long as he removed all the sharp corners so a crack cannot form it will be ok for the rest of its life yours can be welded by a good welder, but I agree with doctor D on the rubicon forum it has to come out to do the job right that or roll the Jeep first, seems the first solution is better. They can even weld some additional ribs on the add strenght

Comment

Can't wait to install my engine skid
                      That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
                        Can't wait to install my engine skid
                        who cares
                        Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Hey Josh,

Are you planning to buy or build a skid to button yours up? Other than the bracket that attaches to the engine mount (which you could probably buy from Skid Row) the rest looks like something you could probably fab up if you could get your hands on a bender . . . does your neighbor have access to one at the shop he's at? I've got the thing sitting in the garage if you want to trace it out/take measurements, etc. The thing cost 250 bucks and took over a month to arrive . . . I wonder if you could save some cash and time by fabbing one up?

Comment

No. I dont like fabbing stuff. It ruins my pretty soft and smooth hands...

anyways probably just gonna buy a skid after the stretch and cage. You need a spare like new driveshaft joe?????
                            Last edited by womb raider 940; 09-21-08, 07:42 PM.
                            Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
                              You need a spare like new driveshaft joe?????

I've got my stock one for a spare . . . should work to get me off the trail if something happened. Hopefully you can get some good money for your DS . . . you've had it for what a month?

Comment

Working...
                              X