Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lifter tick

ive got a lifter tick, being in college i dont have the money to do a complete rebuild, what would happen if i just replaced the lifters?

If your cam is good and not high mileage >100k you can replace just the lifters. Check the lifter faces, they should be smooth and without any rough spots or nicks. If there is any sign of irregular wear or damage on the lifter, the cam is also damage and must be replaced. Roll each push rod on a sheet of glass and replace any bent rods. Also check each rod end and all rocker arm componets for excassive wear or damage. While you're at it check the timeing chain for excessive play.

If you soak the lifters overnight in motor oil before you install them they'll pump up faster.

I hope this helps.

Comment

its got almost 92k, the ticking has become louder and almost a constant rattle at an idle. i was told to put some lucas oil stabilizer in there. but i read reviews online that people had it break their piston rings because its a sticky thick oil. i run 5w30 asmoil. if i put in a thicker oil like 10w40 or 15w40 would it help quiet down the noise until i can get the time and money to fix it? i hate hearing this loud clatter.

Comment

not uncommon at all. in fact, does it do it ALL the time, or just during warm up or especially after running it,letting it sit for about 20 minutes or so then running it again? if so, its most likely piston knock and thats just from wear and tear and is pretty common with 4.0's. my TJ has been doing that for abour 4 yrs and it runs fine. to be honest it will last a long time. noisy lifters on a 4.0 is like a stinky fish. its just the way it is. at 1st i was so concerned that i decided to start a 4.6 stroker build up. got 2/3 of the way done and the jeep is still going great. when it dies then i'll do the build til then i just run it.
        1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
          not uncommon at all. in fact, does it do it ALL the time, or just during warm up or especially after running it,letting it sit for about 20 minutes or so then running it again? if so, its most likely piston knock and thats just from wear and tear and is pretty common with 4.0's. my TJ has been doing that for abour 4 yrs and it runs fine. to be honest it will last a long time. noisy lifters on a 4.0 is like a stinky fish. its just the way it is. at 1st i was so concerned that i decided to start a 4.6 stroker build up. got 2/3 of the way done and the jeep is still going great. when it dies then i'll do the build til then i just run it.
          x2....
          And NEVER call her by her friends name, unless you know how to fake a seizure

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
            X3. They are adjustable. Try that, it quieted mine.
            [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
            [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
            http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

Ohhh, It's a TJ thing, I wouldn't understand.

Comment

how are they adjustable? its not piston slap, i only have that for about the first minute in the winter during startup. its constant, and its been getting louder over the summer, one day in the begining of the summer i noticed i barley had any oil pressure and it would barley move when hitting the gas, the next day i changed the oil and filter (had a junky fram on it) and ever since then is when i noticed it getting louder and louder

Comment

Originally posted by 97sahara View Post
                  how are they adjustable? its not piston slap, i only have that for about the first minute in the winter during startup. its constant, and its been getting louder over the summer, one day in the begining of the summer i noticed i barley had any oil pressure and it would barley move when hitting the gas, the next day i changed the oil and filter (had a junky fram on it) and ever since then is when i noticed it getting louder and louder
                  I re-read my post and I did not say what I was thinking (typical ADD)
                  The lifter lash adjusters can get clogged with deposits and become noisy. The adjusters can be cleaned or replaced. That's what I meant.
                  [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                  [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                  http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

try some sea-foam cleaner. run it in your engine oil for about 100 miles then change your oil. DO NOT run it through your brake booster vacuum line to the intake side. IT WILL KILL YOUR CAT. AND MAYBE YOUR DOG TO.. it is a good additive/cleaner. you could put some in your gas tank to. the lifters are not adj. they are hydraulic. your rockers can be checked for adj. though.

how many miles do you have?
                    1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

about 91,700 miles

Comment

My 4.0 has 1 noisey lifter if I run Chevron or Havoline oil. I switched to Quaker State and it's quiet. Weird.

With the Chevron or Havoline it would get noisey @1800 miles like clockwork.

Comment

anyone know that the adjustment spec is on the rocker arms?

Comment

Working...
                          X