Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greasable Bushings???

So I got a new set of bushings for my front LCA's at the frame (just 3-4 months and they are shot). I noticed that the ad for my lift states: "Kit features tough gusseted tubular lower control arms with greasable bushings". However, the LCAs do not have zirks. Anybody know what they mean? What would you use to not deteriate the poly or rubber bushing(I recall the kit coming with hard plastic feeling bushings that didn't really have any give to them, but the new ones I got feel more rubbery). I use the Mobile One grease for my steering, driveshaft, etc . . . would that help or hurt?
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
    So I got a new set of bushings for my front LCA's at the frame (just 3-4 months and they are shot). I noticed that the ad for my lift states: "Kit features tough gusseted tubular lower control arms with greasable bushings". However, the LCAs do not have zirks. Anybody know what they mean? What would you use to not deteriate the poly or rubber bushing(I recall the kit coming with hard plastic feeling bushings that didn't really have any give to them, but the new ones I got feel more rubbery). I use the Mobile One grease for my steering, driveshaft, etc . . . would that help or hurt?
    Joe,
    If the control arm ends don't have grease zerks that means they don't need grease. The new bushings you got, are they black rubber inside with a metal case with a flange on one end on the outside and a hollow pin in the middle for the bolt to go through? If so, don't put anything on them. Just install them correctly and put the control arm back on the Jeep. The RE control arms I use have a Johnny joint on one end. These require grease periodically. THe Johnny joint has a swivel ball sandwiched between teflon cups in the joint that the mounting bolt goes through. Do you have JJ's on one end of the control arms? If so, grease them with your Mobile one grease. Don't over grease them. Johnny Joints take very little grease. You may find it difficult to pump grease into the joint. If this happens, turn the control arm back and forth on the axis a few times and try shooting grease in it again. You may have to put some leverage on the control arm to get it to move, but it won't hurt the joint or the control arm. If it doesn't take any grease it most likely doesn't need it.
    If it makes you feel any better I just had to replace the shredded bushings on my Heep. I've only replaced two sets so far, but the more you flex the more the bushings are gonna take a beating.
    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

are you sure they are not referring to a newer version of the lift.
      Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
        are you sure they are not referring to a newer version of the lift.
        The picture that goes along with the description looks like exactly what I have . . . I don't see zirks on them either. I was always under the impression that grease and poly/rubber don't mix well as the grease will soften or deteriorate the poly/rubber. I'm going to be a bit more religous about getting under there and making sure those bolts stay tight as the only thing I can think of is either the bolts loosened and then I went offroad and flexed too much or the first set of bushings that came with the kit were :poop:. The new bushings feel like they are made out rubber whereas the old had to be poly as they were hard plastic feeling and had no give to them at all.
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
          I noticed that the ad for my lift states: "Kit features tough gusseted tubular lower control arms with greasable bushings". However, the LCAs do not have zirks. Anybody know what they mean?
          Marketing ploy maybe? I think a lot of companies tend to over exaggerate in their ads. My RE shocks with reservoirs stated that they were "tuneable". So, I called RE to see how they could be tuned to a softer setting. Their less than stellar customer service rep replied that it couldn't be done, that the whole shock had to be taken apart and "rebuilt".
          [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Schmo no matter what you do rigid control arms with poly bushings and flex do not mix. The stock control arms have rubber bushings that can compress(flex)same goes for the stock control arms they can twist, your control arms are plenty strong but do not flex at all
            So either the bushings flex and tear or you rip a control arm mount of, something has to give. The long term fix is something with a johny joint on atleast one end of the control arm

Comment

Originally posted by Lawrence View Post
              Marketing ploy maybe? I think a lot of companies tend to over exaggerate in their ads. My RE shocks with reservoirs stated that they were "tuneable". So, I called RE to see how they could be tuned to a softer setting. Their less than stellar customer service rep replied that it couldn't be done, that the whole shock had to be taken apart and "rebuilt".
              Over exaggerate? To me, over exaggerate would be something like "our lift is the best" or "world famous" or something like that. To me, saying you have greaseable bushings when you don't, or johnny joints when you don't is flat out lying. Bait and switch...
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
              X