Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New rattle. Ideas?

My completly stock 02 TJ has got a new rattle from the front end. I can't find it. I put it on the lift today and all the rubber bushings look ok and there isn't any rust around any bolts plus I checked them to make sure they were tight.

Anybody got any ideas?

I cant hear it.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

spray can in the back?? ice in a cooler??

double check everything. are you have a shake or just a rattle?? is it steel on steel or what?? the more you give us the more you get in return
      :devil: Giffer

Comment

Antiswaybar links?
        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

The bolts/nuts that hold the cats to the header work loose on mine all the time. They tend to rattle. They are a bitch to get to. I had to buy a 24" 3/8 extension and a swivel to get a socket on them from below.

There is also a flange on the exhuast pipe right behind the front axle and in front of the oil pan where the 2 pipes coming from the cats are joined into one pipe. It has 3 bolts holding it tight. One of them had come loose, but would only rattle for about 3 minutes in the morning when everything was cold. Once it heated up it would expand and go away. I had to crawl under there every day for a week right after starting the jeep before I found it.

There is also a rattle that I have had for over a year now that I could never figure out. It only happened when off road. It sounded like a heat sheild rattle, but since there are no heat shields under my jeep I was at a loss to figure it out. I've been under there at least a dozen times trying to find it. Then the other day a friend of mine just happened to bang on my front fender flare with his fist and I heard the rattle. It seems that the bolt on the bottom of the flare right above the rocker pannel is missing and the flare is rattling against the tub. Doh!!!

It's maddening!!! You can spend forever and a day trying to find these little buggers, or you can just let it go and hope you'll stumble on them at a later date.
          2006 Rubicon Unlimited
          Lifted, Locked, and Armored for Rock

Comment

My catalytic converter broke up into a bunch of small pieces (ceramic) when it was about 30 months old. It created a hell of a rattle at idle rpms. Try banging on your cat with a rubber mallet to see if rattles from the ceramic element inside breaking up like mine did.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Oh sorry. I was in a hurry when I posted last night. it sounds like a metal to metal clunk from the LF

Comment

Working...
              X