Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The coolant thermostat is there for several reasons -
    1 - It keeps the engine block an even constant temperature (Keeps heads and engine blocks from warping)
    2 - The factory set the temp 190 and 195 are set for a reason to keep emmissions lower (to pass smog) If you run at lower temp thermostats the computer thinks that the engine is not warmed up and will run a rich fuel mixture (poor gas mileage)
    3 - The thermostat opens and closes constantly - it is made from brass and does wear out and will stick (open and closed positions)- I recommend replacing it every 2 to 3 years using a factory temp and type and use a good mixture of coolant to protect the cooling system and the disimilar metals used in the cooling system from corrosion.

Installing louvers and vents in the engine compartment is always a good idea. It will lower the ambient temperature under the hood and will help the air going into the air filter give the engine cooler air. Which intern gets a better burn for power and fuel efficiency.
    Last edited by fun4wheelerguy; 08-04-08, 09:51 PM. Reason: update
    offroadwerkz.com
    (805) 642-8400 or 477-9977

Comment

Originally posted by TJ Clay View Post
      A 180 stat is not gonna run 195 on hot days as jerry said, its just gonna open sooner but once its open it will be the same as a 195. If your jeed is running too hot like 230 you have an issue with your cooling system. mine runs hot with the air on in the rocks when there is no air flow thru the radiator. Wish i had got a larger radiator when i replaced mine.
      Putting in a more efficient radiator won't help you. You do not have enough airflow through the core. A Radiator depends on air flow and the biggest radiator won't work w/o air going through it.

Comment

Working...
      X