Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
    It's not that much work. And I always do maintnenance on my junk, that's why it rarely breaks on the trail. I've seen that same chart more than once, but it still comes down to how well you maintain things. Obviously if you don't like doing maintenance then those "better" filters are for you.
    As I stated earlier, my K&N was regularly cleaned and re-oiled using K&N's "filter charger" kit and it still passed way too much grime and desert dust. I was anal about keeping it clean and properly oiled so all that about it simply being a matter of proper maintenance is BS. Properly maintained or not, a K&N still passes way more dirt and grime than the average air filter. All the filters in that ISO (which means a scientific repeatable methodology was used) test were brand new, the K&N wasn't "abused" or dirty before the test began. What, do you really think they selected used filters for their tests where the K&N came in dead last and passed 18X more dirt? Come on, get serious.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I take my intake tube off from time to time and have never found any 'grit' or 'grime' that's gotten past my K&N plus K&N Pre-charger. I don't even clean it that regularly. My Jeep is about 98% on road though, which could be the difference.

Next time I clean it after wheeling I'll take pictures, and wipe my finger along the part that mates the throttle body.

Jerry, when I first saw your K&N bashing on JF I did some googling and couldn't find any reference to any ISO testing on the filters other than a couple cheezy looking sites like the one you just linked here. Can you provide a link to a major organization's website that contains data?

The only one I find when searching around is the one you linked which looks like some random guy's website, not a company that does any testing.

You do however find this which I think is interesting:
      http://www.knfilters.com/efficiency_testing.htm
      http://www.knfilters.com/efficiency_..._procedure.htm

If a pretty graph is all it takes to make things seem official on the internet, it's a good thing for Right Said Fred because now we can all believe that he truly is too sexy for all those things in his song:
      If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Materdaddy View Post
        If a pretty graph is all it takes to make things seem official on the internet, it's a good thing for Right Said Fred because now we can all believe that he truly is too sexy for all those things in his song:
        LOL Thanks for clearing that up, Matt. I'd been pondering the validity of Right Said Fred's comments for years, but if it's A) on the internet, and B) has a graph, then it must be fact.
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
          LOL Thanks for clearing that up, Matt. I'd been pondering the validity of Right Said Fred's comments for years, but if it's A) on the internet, and B) has a graph, then it must be fact.
          I'm just curious if there's any place that's more "legit" that provides this data. I'm a little bit skeptical, but it's probably true.

I think I just like K&N because (a) they provide more flow (at the cost of less filtration?) (b) they work fine for me (98% on-road driving) (c) it fit my application (d) the company is down the street from my college and I used to run into K&N guys all the time when eating out near UCR.
          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

If you are relying on K&N for all of your K&N information, it stands to reason you're only going to hear glowing praise for it.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Hoppe Jr View Post
              I'm thinking of changing for my stock airbox w/K&N to cold air intake. I know there are HP gains (i have herd from 8hp to 13hp gains). My fear is taking water in the open filter. Any thoughts on this issue, all info will be appreciated. I know a snorkel is an easy fix, but i dont like the look, my KCs on the windshield posts are in the way, and the olympic lightbar mounts to the windshield hinge. ????
              Either way in response to original question. The AEM Brute for me was a noticeable change and gave me extra power that was not there with a stock airbox. Per manafacturer is a 13 hp gain. I dont doubt it at all.
              Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
                Per manafacturer is a 13 hp gain.
                Until your computer takes over and recognizes that too much air is coming in and compensates for it. Usually takes 1-2 tanks.
                1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I dont know maaaaaannn. I think it did something for my little guy. He is way more peppy now. Emailed aem and told them I want proof it gets more power. so they emailed me back today In adobe. Dunno how to make make it so all can see.

per them

Please see attached instructions with Dyno Data.

Also the throttle body spacers introduce more air to the engine, to
                  produce a super-atomized mixture, resulting in tremendous gains in
                  mid-range power and overall efficiency.

So they says its super atomized. Wow. I am impressed.
                  Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                    As I stated earlier, my K&N was regularly cleaned and re-oiled using K&N's "filter charger" kit and it still passed way too much grime and desert dust. I was anal about keeping it clean and properly oiled so all that about it simply being a matter of proper maintenance is BS. Properly maintained or not, a K&N still passes way more dirt and grime than the average air filter. All the filters in that ISO (which means a scientific repeatable methodology was used) test were brand new, the K&N wasn't "abused" or dirty before the test began. What, do you really think they selected used filters for their tests where the K&N came in dead last and passed 18X more dirt? Come on, get serious.
                    Jerry,
                    take it easy man, you'd think you did that test personally. Tests are great for getting baseline data in a controlled envirnoment, but real world expereince is where I go. And besides, how could K&N keep selling filtration systems if there wasn't other data showing that they do a good job? No one would by the things if they sucked as bad as you and that report say they do. It's applciation specific in a lot of cases, and for most, the stock filtration is wonderful. I wanted the K&N because I have had so much good experience running them, and the K&N has not let me down. I will step over a dollar to get to a dime, so for me to shell out the $175.00 for the K&N, I have to know it's worth it. They've never, ever, let excessive amounts of dirt into any of the engines I have run them on. That would be 8 different dirt bikes, 5 different street bikes, a Bronco, and a Jeep. How much more serious do you need?
                    [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                    [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                    http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

I dont know maaaaaannn. I think it did something for my little guy. He is way more peppy now. Emailed aem and told them I want proof it gets more power. so they emailed me back today In adobe. Dunno how to make make it so all can see.

per them

I don't believe any of the hype from any manufacutrer that sells air intake systems. If you noticed a difference in HP it was probably your imagination. For a product that is touted to increase HP, it has to not only induce more air flow, but adjust fuel mixture, spark, timing, etc. Putting more air down the TB, whether it's SUPER ATOMIZED or not, is only going to result in a throatier sound at the tailpipe.

I like the aftermarket intake systems, and specifically K&N for the look, the reuseable elements, and the slightly cooler air that it allows down the intake. That's it. No HP gains, no torque increase. It might give a little bit more snap to the throttle response, but that's only good if you're racing. When you add a full flow exhaust system with some decent cats, then we might talk a few hps gain. I know it sure didn't help my MPG. But WTF? It's a J.E.E.P. Right? Just rmember this; you wouldn't buy it if the manufacturer said it was only as good as factory. It has to be bigger, better, shinier, add more umph... Yeah right. You want HP, stroke it and throw a cam in it.

For the guy who wants a new intake, buy what tickles your fancy, take care of, maintain it, and you'll be fine.

Putting on flack jacket... NOW!
                      [CENTER][COLOR=#ff0000]Resistance Off Road
                      [/COLOR]Join the Resistance...
                      http://www.resistanceoffroad.us[/CENTER]

Comment

per them

Here is a good article. Mostly talks about fuel efficincie but it has the same effect on performance. Very long.
                        http://www.omninerd.com/articles/Imp...uel_Efficiency

Summary: Anything that does not target the ECU, effects are negated by the closed loop of the o2 sensors. Basically if you don't modify your computer, anything you do will be negated. Butt dynos really don't work and what you feel is the placebo of the added noise.
                        Last edited by igofshn; 07-08-08, 10:13 AM.
                        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

I have to thank u for all the K&N input, if i wen,t to coldair i would stay whith K&N as a filter "if it works", I was asking abuot water crossing and swamping the filter
                          Under a black flag we shall sail.

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
                            Until your computer takes over and recognizes that too much air is coming in and compensates for it. Usually takes 1-2 tanks.
                            When cleaning the k&n remove neg side of battery which will reset it again

Comment

and kill all the presets on my stereo? no way man, that's just crazy talk!
                              :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Hoppe Jr View Post
                                I have to thank u for all the K&N input, if i wen,t to coldair i would stay whith K&N as a filter "if it works", I was asking abuot water crossing and swamping the filter
                                Went with the Volent on my '06 Rubi but did the snorkle kit as well. If you are worried about hydrolocking your engine, this is the only way to go. (Or ARB's version) Technicaly it would work with a small tab welded onto the light bracket. But hey, if the snorkle is not your thing, you're going to need to stay out of the deep water and go slow through the stuff that's over the bumper. That's my 2c.

*Cheers*
                                -Derek
                                On The Rocks

Comment

Working...
                                X