Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
    Spoke to the dealership yesterday and sure enough the fan clutch is bad. Not sure if that is what's causing the sqeak, but it sure seems like I'm narrowing it down having replaced the idle pulley, belt tensioner, and now the fan clutch. They checked the water pump and said it looks good. I'm having them do the cooling system service . . . I had a coupon for 40 bucks and liked the idea of them pressure testing the system and adding the dye to check for leaks, etc . . . hopefully they actually do it and don't just charge me for it . . . is there a way to look and make sure it's been done?

Props to Rick for noticing the play in the fan clutch. It's really kinda pathetic that I'd taken the Jeep to the dealership 3x with a noise coming from the belt area and they never noticed the play in the fan clutch. It was the same thing when my Idle Pulley was bad . . . took it in a couple times and they couldn't find anything then I take it in and personally point to the worn out pulley . . . problem solved. So I guess the warranty is worthless unless you can diagonose the problem yourself!!! I'm kinda worried about not having a warranty though as in a years time the warranty will have covered: idle pulley, starter, belt tensioner, fan clutch, windshield molding, rear view mirror, and a seat belt.
    Glad to hear they still honor your warranty, after messing with your jeep my clutch decided it didn't feel like working anymore, had it towed to the dealer where I was informed the slave cylinder had gone south and my bumper to bumper "gold" warranty would not be covering this. Yup just under 500 out of pocket.
    My pie seems to be something other than lemon.

Comment

Originally posted by rat patrol View Post
      Sniff sniff, I smell "LEMON" pie...
      x2....
      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

Hey Rick . . . I shot you an email with warranty tips . . . thought it might help. Did you go over the warranty info to see if the slave cylinder is mentioned as something that would not be covered?
        That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Man seems like you guys with warranty's have nothing but problems.

Rick, Joe if you guys ever need help or in Joe's case me doing it for you , come on over. Joe sits back watching with iced tea and a sup hat.
          Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
            Hey Rick . . . I shot you an email with warranty tips . . . thought it might help. Did you go over the warranty info to see if the slave cylinder is mentioned as something that would not be covered?
            Thanks for the info Joe. I haven't checked yet, I just assumed bumper to bumper meant my bumpers not mine and the guy in front of me.

Comment

I just picked up the Jeep from the dealership . . . well I should say picked up the keys, drove it around the block, and checked under the hood. I was on my bike so I'll have a buddy drive me by later to pick it up. I'm not sure what all they replaced (based on the reciept, it looks like the whole fan and clutch assembly may come together). The play is gone and it didn't make any noise for the 5 minutes I drove it.

Is there any way to check and make sure the dealership did the cooling system flush??? I've had experiences in the past where things were paid for but not done and I like to double check if I can.

Comment

I'm not sure if there is a way to tell, unless old AF was dark and the new is cleen looking, what i can tell u is most auto part stores sell a little Idropper with 5 balls in it that will tell u the level of protection u are at, mine cost around $2.00, hope this helps.
                Under a black flag we shall sail.

Comment

Originally posted by Tomb Raider 940 View Post
                  Man seems like you guys with warranty's have nothing but problems.
                  Sure does... glad I don't have a warranty... *knocks on wood*...
                  If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Glad i had warranty, thay replaced 1 engine, 2 trans, and 1 soft top. B to B is a joke, covers all but the bumpers.
                    Under a black flag we shall sail.

Comment

Well I've put about 800 miles on the Jeep and the squeak is gone. The play in the fan is gone and it spins much more smoothly now. So I think I'm starting to figure out the warranty/dealership deal... it seems to work well if you diagnose the problem yourself (or have Rick figure it out) and literally show them the problem and point to the part that needs to be replaced... otherwise, they'll just mess around in there, bill the company for the parts/labor and have you come back again so they can do it all over again. Oh well . . . at least I've got some new shiny parts under the hood

Comment

Working...
                      X