Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chapstick Rocks!

I've got a fairly new Jeep (2005 LJ) with the factory soft top, yet the back window is very difficult to zip in/out all the way. At the recent 4Wheelparts show in Ontario (hey Barney!), I chatted up the BestTop guy who gave me the hot tip of "waxing" the zipper with Chapstick. Says it does not attract dirt like WD-40 and similar products, and won't stain the top.

Sounded good so I tried it. What had previously resisted all 300 pounds of my weight tugging on the darn thing now glides smoothly into place. Zipper is fixed. Total cost: 99 cents!
    Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
    Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
    HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

That's a good tip Nathan. I use a dry Teflon spray and it works great.
    Check out .

Comment

You have windows!? hehe

That's a great tip. Thanks for sharing.
      :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

A bar of soap works well too, and your fingers will thank you if you hook one of these on the pull. ;D
        [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

yeah, I allways used Ivory.. its a nice bar o' soap to shoot at as well
          :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Candle wax works well too.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

x 2 candle wax

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
              Candle wax works well too.
              I carry a smaal block of candle wax, it works wonders on those zippers.

Comment

Originally posted by dirtman13 View Post
                That's a good tip Nathan. I use a dry Teflon spray and it works great.
                I use teflon spray too. Works great, but it a bit more than 99 cents!
                If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

REI outdoors sells "zipper lube". It's like chapstick. It's for backpacks,sleepingbags,ect.
                  Under a black flag we shall sail.

Comment

Originally posted by Daniel Hoppe Jr View Post
                    REI outdoors sells "zipper lube". It's like chapstick. It's for backpacks,sleepingbags,ect.

Oh man! I wish I read this 30 minutes ago. I was just there during lunch today.

TreadLightly Trainer
                    HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

sorry, well it's 5:52am here that makes it 30am there, gotta go to work. Fun fun till someone loses a wheel.

Comment

:hijack:

C'mon you guys! Don't you know about REI?

STAY AWAY!!

They support organizations that are trying to KILL our sport. I admit stopping in once a while to look, and then buying from the internet or another store.
                        :gun:'99 TJ Sport:gun:

Comment

Originally posted by sarah View Post
                          :hijack:

C'mon you guys! Don't you know about REI?

STAY AWAY!!

They support organizations that are trying to KILL our sport. I admit stopping in once a while to look, and then buying from the internet or another store.
                          I totally agree. As an REI shareholder and member, I write to them several times a year about the stupidity of supporting the Sierra Club, an organization that actively is trying to diminish outdoor use. If that is not a self-defeating purpose for an outdoor gear company, I don't know what is!

I also hate that they are wasting money on Al Gore and buying carbon offsets. I am all for sustainability, recycling, reducing waste and landfill mass, etc..., but carbon offsets are such a waste of money in a global sense, it's completely infuriating. REI has changed radically in teh past few years, and has become "radical" themselves. They've lost focus on their core business model, and now try to be like every other company out there. It's very disappointing.

Sadly, for some items, there are few alternatives, like 8 gallon Rubbermaid Action Packers. The only other place I could find them was Amazon, and they were out of stock.

TreadLightly Trainer
                          HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

I found that the "Zip stick" is not avalable any more, but there are other alternatives, BIO GREEN,and Phil Tenacious oil. Both cost around $7.00. thay don't collect dust, and thay wont degrade the nylon zippers like wax and oils.

Comment

Working...
                            X