Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nwoods View Post
    Yes, I think so. I agreed to the counter offer, but as i was sending him the message, my company started implementing a layoff plan. If I have a job tommroow, I will buy it. If I buy and then get laid off, I'll go wheeling :-)
    Well that blows, but nothing better than some wheeling time Good luck.
    [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Well, still have a job, so we bought it! Picked up this weekend:

Whoo Hoo!
      Off road adventure photography:

TreadLightly Trainer
      Wilderness First Aid (WFA)
      HAM - KI6PFO

2005 Rubicon Unlimited + trailer

Comment

nice!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
        Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Hey that's a really nice looking Jeep, congrats!! Your kids are gonna love it, hope to see it and you and your family out on the trail soon! Great looking kids by the way! :thumbs_up
          The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Thanks guys, I am very blessed and am thankful for it each and every day.

We look forward to going on MJR runs with you all!

TreadLightly Trainer
            HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

congrats on the jeep, now good luck keeping it clean enough to throw the kids in the back!!
              :devil: Giffer

Comment

4.88s right choice for me!!

Kind of a late post on the topic, but I just installed 4.88s on my '06 LJ. I'm currently running 33's with a 4spd auto, and what a difference. Seems most people opt for the 4.56s, but thankfully I listened to a few who said you can't go wrong with the 4.88's and the 4spd auto. Best running Jeep I've owned so far. Install cost was $1175.00 OTD at Ultimate Offroad in Yuma.

Comment

Joeb, what's your "comfortable" top end speed now on the freeway? Any significant change in your range (due to decreased mileage?)

TreadLightly Trainer
                  HAM - KI6PFO

Comment

Joeb, what's your "comfortable" top end speed now on the freeway? Any significant change in your range (due to decreased mileage?)
                    I'm not Joeb but with the 4-speed automatic, lower ratio gears like 4.88 for 33" tires is actually ideal. You'd think not because 4.88 would be a bit low for 33" tires on a 5 or 6 speed manual but the 4-speed automatic's final overdrive ratio is SO high that the engine can lug if you don't choose a low-enough axle ratio. For 35" tires, going lower than 4.88 for the 4-speed automatic like to 5.13 is actually preferrable but you can only do that on the Rubicon that has D44 axles front and rear. On non-Rubicons, the lowest you can go is 4.88 due to the front Dana 30 being limited to 4.88 as its lowest available ratio.

Speed-wise, you'd do great on the highway at 70-75 mph with 4.88 and 33" tires with a 4-speed automatic. That transmission's extra-high ratio final overdrive ratio will keep the RPMs down to a very highway-friendly RPM.
                    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

I run 4.88s on my rubi w/35's and it works perfect for me. Though there always be variations on auto, manual and street habits etc... On the highway I keep my RPMs at 2500 which puts me at 70 MPH; which I feel comfortable with. and having the lower gear is ideal off pavement. Several friends of mine also run the same set up with no regrets on their preference. But always keep in mind we are driving BRICKS on wheels which translates to very thirsty peeps. Good luck on your gear searching and hope this helps. BTW, great looking rig and nice family. Now go out there and get your mean machine dirty!!

Comment

A TJ is no LR3 as far as gas mileage, and the 4.0L seems to run better at higher rpms than most other vehicles. Just remember that you are driving a brick with a pop-up tent on its back, so aerodynamics and fuel mileage are a moot point. BTW, if you are looking at gas mileage, rpms are not the sole factor, you also need to consider throttle position.

If I were you I would do the following before getting it regeared:

1) Determine what tire size you want to stick with.
                        2) Drive different vehicles to test their performance and see what you prefer.

If it were my rig, I would go 4.88s w/ 33s and 5.13s w/ 35s. My 4.88s were adequate when I ran 35s, but now that I run 33s, they are absolutely perfect. You can see my rpms on post #6. Remember that your rig is heavier than stock and has more rolling resistance, so getting back to stock won’t cut it. You need a little more oomph, or put your TJ on a diet.
                        [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Running at approximately 70mph, it is turning in the 2.3k range. On a recent trip to Lake Havasu, and towing a 1,000 lb trailer I averaged nearly 15mpg.

Comment

Working...
                          X