Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Catalytic Converter

I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 L - 242 with 208k miles.

Recently I have noticed that my jeep has been smoking a lot. When I look under it, all the smoke is coming from the catalytic converter. It looks like steam more or less, but has a slight smell to it. There is nothing leaking onto it, all the smoke/steam is coming from within it. All of my gauges are fine and nothing else seems to be wrong. I believe it has never been replaced. Anybody have any ideas on what could be wrong with it?

Also, if it needs to be replaced. Could you tell me an approximate price range that I should look for when talking to shops?

Thanks for all the help in advance.

are you loosing water? or any oil? and the cat is only a 100$ at auto zone. if you could put it in yourself you would save some money.

i want this jeep

Comment

Originally posted by 92yj View Post
      are you loosing water? or any oil? and the cat is only a 100$ at auto zone. if you could put it in yourself you would save some money.
      I occasionally have small oil leaks. I can't put it on myself, because I do not have a welder and it is not a bolt on (or at least I couldn't see any).

Comment

I have gotten cats replaced locally for $100 installed. I need to do my 94's cat here soon, smog check is due next month so a full blown tune up is in order too.......Oh and a new gas cap since the smog check guy ALWAYS hits me for one and I want to see if he will do it again when it is already new!

Comment

Working...
        X