Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spacer install

I just purchased a spacer for the front of my 05 TJ. The front sags quite a bit. So I got a 1 3/4 spacer for the front. According to the instructsions it seems that I have to drop the shocks and everything related to install these deals. Has anyone done one of these themselves, and if so is it as complicated as it seems to me?

Yes, is time consuming but not hard. disconnect the shocks, use spring compressors to compress the springs. pull the springs, put the spacers in reinstall springs. reinstall shocks. is easy but time consuming. Did you look for article's related to this. or read the instructions that came with it. What I wrote is just a general overview but I am sure someone has a more in detail description of what to do.
    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

what brand spacers did you get?

Comment

Yeah make sure to get yourself some spring compressors like Tomb Raider said. They will save you major headaches. You can rent them for free at Autzone. Make sure you get the ones that attach on the outside of the spring.
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

i picked up a set for 40$ and they work vary well. it is just my opinion but i like to know how the tools i use have been treated or mistreated.

i want this jeep

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolfTJ View Post
            what brand spacers did you get?
            I got the Daystar 1 3/4" spacer, the instructions say to disassemble each side but I was told that those that have done them before know quicker ways to do them without partially dropping the frontend.Someone even said to just let the wheel drop enough to let the spring fall out, then reinstall. Sounds fishy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by hillbillybob View Post
              I got the Daystar 1 3/4" spacer, the instructions say to disassemble each side but I was told that those that have done them before know quicker ways to do them without partially dropping the frontend.Someone even said to just let the wheel drop enough to let the spring fall out, then reinstall. Sounds fishy to me.
              Yeah you can do it by flexing out one side and letting the other drop so you can pull the spring out, we have. Its just a big PITA sometimes. Just get a spring compressor it will make it easier on you.
              |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Don't forget to disconnect the anti-sway bars in addition to disconnecting the shocks, otherwise, the axle won't droop enough to get out the spring. I didn't need to use a spring compressor, but if you do, you can borrow one from AutoZone.
                If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
                KI6MLU

Comment

Same as Russ said, there is no need to use spring compressors. If you disconnect the shocks, swaybar, and track bar, your axle will drop down far enough. I installed and then took out my RE 5.5" springs and ACOS without the need of spring compressors.
                  [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Did you take the springs out with a long arm or a short arm on it?
                    Ford Raptor 6.2l

Comment

Long Arm but it shouldn't matter. If you jack up the Jeep high enough and then support it by the frame, everything should drop nicely when disconnected. I also helped a neighbor with his lift and it was a Short Arm, no spring compressors needed. Remember to take the tires off to get the maximum drop
                      [COLOR="Blue"]If you don't have the time to do it right, what makes you think you'll have the time to do it twice?[/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                      X