Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best investments, worst investments?????

Collapse

Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best investments, worst investments?????

What have you found to be your best investment for the trail? Your worst? All this "stuff" adds up to extra weight, lost space,(or lost IN space, Nailer,)and MONEY. Your regrets,what sits in your garage these days, and what would you not be caught without out there.....
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

Originally posted by flatpoint View Post
    What have you found to be your best investment for the trail? Your worst? All this "stuff" adds up to extra weight, lost space,(or lost IN space, Nailer,)and MONEY. Your regrets,what sits in your garage these days, and what would you not be caught without out there.....
    synthetic winch line, and a good warn winch to hook it to.
    the internet to set up jeep runs, and meet "like minded" folks.
    bags of tools and parts to fit your rig.

i dont use my hi-lift on the trail, but it has been handy in the garage. it would have been nice to have the foresight in knowing where this jeep would wind up as to avoid all of the intermediate modifications.
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

best investment: lift kit

worst investment: the actual jeep
      03 TJ. It'll go 65mph...can't complain.

Comment

best investment for sure would be my computer, without it I would not know how to do ANY of the mods I have done.

but really:
        Rockers guards!! (a lot of people dont say this, but I smack them all day long on the fun trails)
        sway bar discos!! (even with 33s I managed to complete some pretty tough trails in JV with only a front locker.

oh I love my cheepo race seats too, they have lasted for a while now and they definitely keep me from sliding around

I think the best investment someone can get (that hopefully you never have to use) is a stout roll cage!
        [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

my kilby gas tank skid.. I've beat the SNOT out of that thing and it hasnt even wimpered! After that, I'd say my lockers (although they make wheeling less fun) and also my currie steering kit.
          1st batch TJ bought August of 96. Locked and Loaded!

Comment

Originally posted by brokenujoint View Post
            my kilby gas tank skid.. I've beat the SNOT out of that thing and it hasnt even wimpered! After that, I'd say my lockers (although they make wheeling less fun) and also my currie steering kit.
            gas tank for sure!! lockers also do help a crap load!

and I need my currie steering pronto!
            [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

best: my york compressor, seats, lights and lift.

worst: the jeep all together it is a bad addiction obsession i cant get rid of. do i need help or just more money

oh and my tools are a good investment, so i can chop cut and weld all kinds of junk to the jeep. lol

i want this jeep

Comment

extra gas is not good!! the more you have the further you go. which always ends bad
                :devil: Giffer

Comment

every one says that they do not use their hi jack on the trail.... i have used mine maybe 15 times in two and a half years. and twice i needed that extra highth on my 72 jack...

but my choice on best mod would be lockers tho i dont have them:tongue: cuz im changin axles but then i would say tires cuz ive ran some crappy tires even with all my mods i went no where and i have buds stock with lil grippers and lockers and they go all over!!! just get their a lil more scrapped up then me lol

as for worst, well i try to plan down the road and not get what will just be replaced... things i avoided will be fender flares after market cuz i went full new fenders, stuff like that
                  starvin student...

Comment

I think the best mod was the fixed yoke kit and rear drive shaft... I know, it doesn't sound like much, but it started it all... it let me do the 4" lift without having my belly sag, it gave the whole drive line a solid feel and got rid of alot of vibration. I did the kit myself and that let me have more confidence for crazy stuff like rear diff work and the like... That fixed yoke kit cost me about $20,000 all said and done... or, well so far... heck I know I'm not done

Yeah, x2 on fender flares as the worst (waste) mod.... I got the Bushwacker fender flares for the YJ and just tore them off on the trail. They looked good and they are nice for a street poser rig, but they just get in the way on the trail... and that means they get removed by the trail...
                    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                      That fixed yoke kit cost me about $20,000 all said and done... or, well so far... heck I know I'm not done

that is one expensive SYE!!!!
                      starvin student...

Comment

For us it was a 4" lift, Tera-low gearing, lower rack & pinion gears and lockers (selectable in the front, Detroit in the rear. Cheap upgrades (home built or material and beer) included trussing the axles, twin stick dana 300, and hi-steer, and rear spring lead in slides.

The least important investment was a sound system. We never use it on the trail and it's peaceful to hear the wind blow through the trees when we stop.

Comment

Working...
                        X