Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with New Tires (Stage 1)...

OBKB... Just bought this 2002 Jeep Wrangler X with 40,000 miles. It's my 6th in a long line, and i've never "done it right". I've left every jeep i've had stock, and this one is going to be different.

So, the first thing I want to change is the dinky tires. It has stock 16"s (225x75rx16) on it. I want TALLER tires, but ones that don't go outside the fenders. I threw some "wider" tires on our Renegade and got the sides "painted" every time it got muddy out.

I've seen some jeeps out there with tires that I like, but here's the disclaimer: I live in Iowa. Lottsa snow. Lotsa dirt. But not Lotsa mud. So, this thing has to do 12 miles to and from work everyday. It's the "fun car" of the family and doesn't need a DVD player like the Durango!

I'm not looking to break the bank, as a lift is next. It might even be a 3" body lift, now that I mention it..

Ideas? Help? Comments? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Shiftclick

I think BFG sells a 33" tire that is only 9.5" wide, and it gets used a lot by Grand cherokees, because it fits in the wheel wells, it's just an all-terrain I think, but that would suit yer on road needs... it will stay in the well for the most part. Get some wheels, 15x8.5's and that should do it... if yer gonna rub a bit go with a 1" poly body lift, Quadratec sells them pretty cheap It is ideal to go with a mild suspension lift for the 33's, 4" is standard, but I know you can run 32" tires with the stock suspension, with a minimal rubbing under flex, so you should be able to do the 33's with a 1" body. Then if you want to spend the money go with a mild suspension lift. this is the "don't break the bank" deal, I have a sister with an "X" and we did the tires and body lift and it worked great for her for quite a while, until she could afford to do a 4" Rubicon express lift...

:2:
    :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
      I think BFG sells a 33" tire that is only 9.5" wide, and it gets used a lot by Grand cherokees, because it fits in the wheel wells, it's just an all-terrain I think, but that would suit yer on road needs... it will stay in the well for the most part. Get some wheels, 15x8.5's and that should do it... if yer gonna rub a bit go with a 1" poly body lift, Quadratec sells them pretty cheap It is ideal to go with a mild suspension lift for the 33's, 4" is standard, but I know you can run 32" tires with the stock suspension, with a minimal rubbing under flex, so you should be able to do the 33's with a 1" body. Then if you want to spend the money go with a mild suspension lift. this is the "don't break the bank" deal, I have a sister with an "X" and we did the tires and body lift and it worked great for her for quite a while, until she could afford to do a 4" Rubicon express lift...

AWESOME. That is exactly the kind of advice I was looking for! Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction!

Comment

I'd stay waway from the 3" body lift...but that could just be me.
        -Bob
        '98 Black TJ [COLOR=Blue]Sport[/COLOR] 4.0L/Auto Trans

My rig : http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a95...n/DSC06310.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by steelman View Post
          Yeah, I know. But it's all about the Benjamin's these days... or at least that's what the wife thinks...

Comment

32" tires (MTR's) will be safer than 33" rubbing wise, but I know you can do the 33's if you want... anyu more than 33's and you are gonna need axles, gearing... 32" MTR's got me everywhere I wanted to go for quite a while though, and they will let you keep some highway speed...

Comment

Not just you Bob...
              If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

x2 stay away from that 3" body lift. go with only a 1 inch. Its about $$$ for almost everyone so just save up them pennies and get yourself a 4" suspension lift and do it right.
                |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

You're in good company Bob.
                  The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

BTW, if you're going to quote him, it's Reagan, not Regan.

Comment

meh im over the quote thanks for the info though.
                      |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kodiak Spirit View Post
                        32" tires (MTR's) will be safer than 33" rubbing wise, but I know you can do the 33's if you want... anyu more than 33's and you are gonna need axles, gearing... 32" MTR's got me everywhere I wanted to go for quite a while though, and they will let you keep some highway speed...

Can I keep the stock "Grizzly" wheels/rims that came with my jeep with 32's? If I went with 33's, I think I'd have to give those up, and that would suck!

Comment

I think you can keep the 16" rims and still get the tires you want, you will have to research the tires though, some sizes are not avail in 16"... might have to go metric. that's ok, though, the tires are the same. I like the extra sidewall the 15" rim gives you that's why I suggest it. and the 15" rims make the tires look bigger than the 16" ones...

Comment

Working...
                          X