Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• E-Brake Adjustment

Can anyone walk me thru how to tighten the Emergency Brake on my TJ? It's getting to the point where I've got to pull it all the way to the top if I'm on a hill for it to hold.
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Park it on level ground, shut it off, put it in gear, maybe chock the tires, and leave the e-brake off.

Get under it and look at the rear drive shaft just forward of the wheels. Note the single cable above the shaft coming from the front and making a 'Y'.

Tighten that nut,(I think it's 9/16", maybe 14m). Barely get it snug, maybe leave a little slack.

If you're out of adjustment you could take the Y apart and put some washers in it.
    '98 TJ, Steve-www.itsajeep.org

Comment

Originally posted by Schmo View Post
      Can anyone walk me thru how to tighten the Emergency Brake on my TJ? It's getting to the point where I've got to pull it all the way to the top if I'm on a hill for it to hold.
      Joe,

According to the Field Service Manual for your Rubicon,

NOTE: Parking brake adjustment is controlled by a cable tensioner. Once the tensioner is adjusted at the factory, it should not require further attention. However, there are two instances when adjustment will be required. The first is when a new tensioner, or cables have been installed. And the second, is when the tensioner and cables are disconnected for access to other brake components.

A condition where the parking brakes do not hold, will most probably be due to a wheel brake component.

According to the FSM,

Under normal circumstances, the only time adjustment is required is when the shoes are replaced,
      removed for access to other parts, or when one or both rotors are replaced.

But if adjustment is needed, you should adjust the parking brake shoes instead of adjusting the cable. You'll need a brake adjusting tool:

Adjustment can be made with a standard brake gauge or with adjusting tool. Adjustment is performed with the complete brake assembly installed on the backing plate.
      (1) Be sure parking brake lever is fully released.
      (2) Raise vehicle so rear wheels can be rotated freely.
      (3) Remove plug from each access hole in brake support plates.
      (4) Loosen parking brake cable adjustment nut until there is slack in front cable.
      (5) Insert adjusting tool through support plate access hole and engage tool in teeth of adjusting screw star wheel.
      (6) Rotate adjuster screw star wheel (move tool handle upward) until slight drag can be felt when wheel is rotated.
      (7) Push and hold adjuster lever away from star wheel with thin screwdriver.
      (8) Back off adjuster screw star wheel until brake drag is eliminated.
      (9) Repeat adjustment at opposite wheel. Be sure adjustment is equal at both wheels.
      (10) Install support plate access hole plugs.
      (11) Adjust parking brake cable and lower vehicle.
      (12) Depress park brake lever and make sure park brakes hold the vehicle stationary.
      (13) Release park brake lever.
      If you don't like the way I drive, stay out of the bushes!
      KI6MLU

Comment

After I installed my lift I had to adjust the nut in as described by Kcruisin. The emergency brake cable just had more slack in it due to changing how it was secured to the jeep. If you changed your suspension that may heve been the cause.

Comment

I haven't done much to the Jeep . . . a 2 inch BB was installed a few months back, but I doubt the cable would have been messed with on just a 2"BB . . . would it? It's not horrible, it's just to really feel safe when I'm on a steep hill or something I've got to pull it to the 2nd or 3rd to the last click at the top. Seeing Russ' post, I'm wondering if this would be something the dealership would do under the warranty???
          That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Comment

Working...
          X