Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Droping the gas tank

ok, I am going be mounting a air tank in the bed of my 04 TJ, I am looking for instructions to drop the gas tank, or has anyone ever done it, I will be bolting the thing down and will need under that tank.
    So does anyone know where some instructions on the web are, preferably with pics? or has anyone done it and know how it is done?
    I could just go out and do it, but I would be spending major time just figuring out what was going on, it would be nice to have a check list.
    Thanks
    censored for having an opinion

http://jeepin.com/features/kilby/
    >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
    ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by NAILER341 View Post
      thanks Eric, I needed that

Comment

Why put it in the bed. A 2.5 gal tank fits perfect along the drivers side frame frail. Totally out of the way.
        1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

Originally posted by igofshn View Post
          Why put it in the bed. A 2.5 gal tank fits perfect along the drivers side frame frail. Totally out of the way.
          and leaves everything to get beat to hell under there, I want it in the bed. I have enough dents in my rockers and center skid plate to discourage me from putting things under the jeep.

Comment

up here tanks wouldn't last right their....
            starvin student...

Comment

Originally posted by sahara0207 View Post
              up here tanks wouldn't last right their....
              I ran many trails (JV, Rubicon, Sierra's and never hit it under the Jeep. It is up out of the way, proteceted by the frame rails.
              1994 Toyota, dual cases, 5.29 axles with ARB's

Comment

lots of guys up here dont even runn frame mounted rails cuz they hang up, seen it a few times. just cant imagine a tank? thats just here, but their is always a way around it.
                starvin student...

Comment

I see how you might think someone could get hung up, but how is the terrain "up their" different then anywhere in california? I mean there are some pretty nasty rocks in JV, Rubicon etc. to get hung up on just as easy as anywhere else. Also the more space you take up inside your jeep means less you can put in it for long trips. i.e. Rubicon just my thought....

But im curious why you want to drop the tank to install the air tank inside your bed? IS it so you can bolt it down farther back (right about the gas tank)?

Good luck with dropping the tank, I have had to do it twice and for some lucky reason every time I was about to drop it, I just so happen to have at least 1/2 a tank of gas in it. The weight of that plus the skid....PITA!!

good luck!
                  [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                    I see how you might think someone could get hung up, but how is the terrain "up their" different then anywhere in california? I mean there are some pretty nasty rocks in JV, Rubicon etc. to get hung up on just as easy as anywhere else. Also the more space you take up inside your jeep means less you can put in it for long trips. i.e. Rubicon just my thought....

But im curious why you want to drop the tank to install the air tank inside your bed? IS it so you can bolt it down farther back (right about the gas tank)?

Good luck with dropping the tank, I have had to do it twice and for some lucky reason every time I was about to drop it, I just so happen to have at least 1/2 a tank of gas in it. The weight of that plus the skid....PITA!!

good luck!
                    I want to bolt it down fron to rear, I use a mountaineer rack that will be over it and will make a set of rails that will protect the front, rear and one side, I can then bolt it in beside the tire well.
                    anything under the rack is for recovery and tools, basically an area that does not get things not designated in it. I looked under the Jeep as I had seen several installs that way but decided I did not want the thing under there. I know it eats room where it is going to go, but I figure that I will have less hitting it there than hearing a big bang and not having an air system anymore. Plus the room it is taking was used for my co2 bottle before.
                    Every time you add something permanent to a jeep it is a trade off. In fact I sometimes have wondered if a LJ would have served me better ? I do a lot of week long camp outs and it is really cramped unless I have the top rack on. Problem with the top rack is it attaches to the roll cage. And I do not want one that attaches to the window. I am currently running the Garvin/wilderness rear tire carrier and will probably get the rack for that.
                    Sheesh, Just Empty Every Pocket. I look out at the FJ Cruiser in the driveway and sometimes wonder If I should just pay it off and set it up for the long range and keep the jeep for local. So many issues, so little money.

Comment

Working...
                    X