Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AGR super box?

ok have been trying to figure out what I am going to do about my shot steering box for a while now and need some input. heres the plan:

-steering box brace no matter what.

new steering box:

a) stock for like $139
    b) Durango box (bigger and beefier) $189
    c) brand new AGR super box I for $250 (new the seller never used it) and I have my stock one to keep maybe as a spare?

What do you guys think? I have heard a lot of bad things about AGR, and thats probably why they are out of business. But..for a reasonable price, would it be worth it?

any and all advice would be great!
    thanks
    [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Ive heard most of people's beef with AGR ws there customer service. JimmyRig had one an AGR box on his scrambler, granted it was only used for what like a couple months? But we were actually talking about this last night and he said that the box was pretty good.
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I think if you have a spare, and you are gonna put in the brace, just stay with stock and save some money, those 35" tires are not that big for the stock box...
      :gun: my rifle is not illegal, it's just undocumented... :gun:

Comment

but. I would save money not getting the AGR if I got the durango box. It has I think 3 complete turns lock to lock, and its a little bigger.

thanks for the feedback and keep it coming!
        [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

tommy lee box is beefier than all of them.
          he changes bearing types and does some other things to beef up a stock box.
          >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
          ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Is the stock p/s pump output enough to make it worth while?
            Would you not want to upgrade both pump and box at the same time?

If you do any of this I'd consider an inexpensive p/s cooler--the PSC kit that I have clearly states that a cooler is needed for the survival of the unit. The pump takes a lot of heat from the #1 cylinder exhaust.
            http://www.pscmotorsports.com/produc...5d25e33a83dbdd
            Last edited by pdw; 01-31-08, 08:18 PM.
            Money pit!

Comment

i think the cooler is for hydro assist. I am not going that far yet.
              the stock pump and box should be okay, but the box is the thing that is getting the abuse. MOst people change the box to get the most feedback

Comment

Well, I went from no power-steering on 33's to a PSC system. (Not that it's relevant to this conversation!) That being said, I didn't run a p/s cooler for about a year and the p/s fluid would get very hot and the seals on the p/s box started leaking. Perhaps it was a combination of heat and pressure???

Since I put the p/s cooler on the leak has all but disappeared. I also wrapped some of that hi-temp header insulation from the Summit catalog around the #1 cylinder head pipe just in case.
                Last edited by pdw; 02-01-08, 12:06 PM.
                Money pit!

Comment

Stock VS Super

I had the stock steering system in my Jeep for years with my 33's, spring over ETC.. It finally started giving me problems with locking up at of all places on the Ridges of Hells Revenage in Moab with its tight turns. When I got back to town I found a parts place and installed a six row tranny cooler to help the Tranny which also gave me more power steering fluid to circulate through the system. It did help as I had no more problems on the trip.
                  Not feeling comfortable I replaced the pump and gear box with the AGR system and am still using the tranny cooler with the steering system. Keeping the fluid at a lower temp can't help but prolong the life of the system. My Two Cents.
                  George
                  I've been told as the gear box gets old the teflon seals wear and as they get hot they expand and that is what was causing my problems.
                  Last edited by TDS SD; 02-01-08, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by pdw View Post
                    Well, I went from no power-steering on 33's to a PSC system. (Not that it's relevant to this conversation!) That being said, I didn't run a p/s cooler for about a year and the p/s fluid would get very hot and the seals on the p/s box started leaking. Perhaps it was a combination of heat and pressure???

Since I put the p/s cooler on the leak has all but disappeared. I also wrapped some of that hi-temp header insulation from the Summit catalog around the #1 cylinder head pipe just in case.
                    The heat typically comes from the pump itself. Upgraded pumps will bump the fluid temps up 50 degrees for every 5 seconds the pump is in bypass.

Bypass is that squealing/hissing noise you hear when you go to full lock or wedge the tires against something and try to turn.
                    I am Savvy.

Comment

so would it be a good idea to get a cooler? I have never heard of anyone doing this. Would be tough to install or a PITA?

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                        so would it be a good idea to get a cooler? I have never heard of anyone doing this. Would be tough to install or a PITA?
                        many of us run a cooler.
                        it is a fairly easy install.
                        >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
                        ERIK

95 yj, locked lifted, and ready to rock!

Comment

Originally posted by miguelitojeep97 View Post
                          NO, it's an easy install.
                          The simple mounting bracket for the cooler was the biggest issue I had. I wanted something that would put up with the vibration and look unobtrusive. I ended up using a short piece of "L" shaped aluminum and two nuts and bolts.
                          Route the hoses as directly and with the least amount of hose length from the p/s box return line (low pressure side) and p/s resevoir.(SP?)
                          Bleed the system and enjoy!
                          Money pit!

Comment

where would I buy this? and write ups or anything so I can get a better idea?

Comment

Add on Cooler

Any auto parts store. I mounted mine in front of the radiator using stuff provided with the cooler. Been on many a rough trial since it has been installed and no problems.
                              George

Comment

Working...
                              X