Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jacking points for an LJ Rubicon?

Using a Hi Lift,What are safe points to lift at? Are the Rubicon rocker panels strong enough for this, or are they more cosmetic?(06 LJ). When jacking at the bumper,do you strap the jack foot to the bumper? I would think that would keep it from slipping,and that would be bad.....
    :cactus::cactus:+:beer:=:poop:...:hide:

What are you using the jack for?

Don't use a Hi Lift to lift a vehicle. Use a regular hydraulic jack or even a bottle jack if you're actually LIFTING the vehicle.

Hi Lifts are good for emergencies or a come-along, but 95% of experienced wheelers don't even carry them. I've used mine twice, and somebody else's once (they had a 5 footer and it was easier to get to than mine).
    If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Changing tires.

Comment

Dave,

If your tires are blocked and the ground is kinda flat you can change a tire without a problem. 2 weeks ago Dirtman13 (Chuck)swapped out a front axle on the "Twisted Trail II" in 30 minutes without any problems and fixed a "High center" situation also. Just use some pre-cautions.

Comment

Thanks, Mitch, guess I got to go out in my driveway and try it out a few times, get a feel for it.

Comment

If you're just changing a tire, the bottle jack that comes with the Jeep should work great and be a little more safe. If you do use the hi lift to raise the vehicle, be careful.
            If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Don't mistake the Hi-Lift as a suitable tool for general tire changing duties. Even for oversized tire up to at least the 35" tire size, the OE bottle jack should be used as it is much faster and far safer than the Hi-Lift is. Yes, the OE bottle jack is more than capable of jacking the axle up more than high enough for even 35" tires.

When using a Hi-Lift, you have to jack the tub WAY high to overcome the axle's droop that happens when you jack from the body or bumper. That means you have to jack the tub up an additional 10" before the wheel even starts lifting up off the ground. The only way around that is to secure/strap the axle to the frame before you jack it up from the tub or bumper which will reduce how high you have to jack up the body. This really should only be done if you're on the trail and the bottle jack won't work.
              The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Working...
              X