Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• setting up a CB

i just got a cobra CB that was taken out of a semi truck at work, it worked in the truck, but was removed because one of the dials didnt light up anymore so they just replaced it. i put it in my jeep along with a magnetic antena that i attched to my smittybilt tire carrier, the last time the antena was used it worked. well i dont get anything out of it, i adjusted the squelch knob and still didnt hear anything, but when i walked over to a truck people were talking constantly on the same channel, i have another magnetic antena but its a big whip one and i dont really want to hang that from the top of my tire carrier, at work we have the ones that go on the semi truck mirrors, and i saw some jeep place had a bracket for that kind that attches to one of the tail lights, but i cant find it anymore, anyone have any suggestions on how to set it up to so i can hear people and get the best range possible?

theres a few posts on here that explain what to do. i belive you need a meter that reads your signal or some such, also the antenna might screw in or out to help boost your range. the type of cable you use, and where you get your power frlom are also factors in the sound quality. im not sure why your not getting anything. does the cb light up and turn on? bad ground??? i hope any of this helps. look around for more posts i belive theres a few. good luck

Comment

http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8268

i hunted threw and found an old post i made asking the same question, theres some good atricles in there for ya. hope it helps, and the meter is a SWR meter, and aparently its very important

Comment

Setting up a CB radio.

Here is a link with all the info you could need.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm

Comment

consumer electronics

Originally posted by The-Hurricane View Post
          http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8268

i hunted threw and found an old post i made asking the same question, theres some good atricles in there for ya. hope it helps, and the meter is a SWR meter, and aparently its very important
          Go to the bottom of the MJR home page and you will see "consumer electronics" I just made a post there (as that is the proper area) for someone having similar problems with there CB radio....MATT
          "Just Another Jeepin Guy"

Comment

Originally posted by CalFireGuy View Post
            Here is a link with all the info you could need.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm
            There are enough errors in Firestik's tech data that I'm pretty shocked. Most of their info is correct but if you're not technical, some of their data is just plain incorrect. This is surprising for an antenna company.

One, ignore any advice saying an 18' length of cable is required to obtain the lowest possible SWR. That is nothing more than an old wive's tale that someone at Firestik still believes. Use the length of cable needed to make the connection with enough slack to allow easy cable routing, and no more or no less.

Another that could be confusing is where they say antenna cables need to have a "50" Ohm impedence which is incorrect, the correct impedence for a CB, its antenna, and its cable is technically 52 Ohms. Some might be searching for 50 Ohm cables if they didn't know better.

Most of their information is correct but take it with a grain of salt.
            The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

True Statement

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
              There are enough errors in Firestik's tech data that I'm pretty shocked. Most of their info is correct but if you're not technical, some of their data is just plain incorrect. This is surprising for an antenna company.

One, ignore any advice saying an 18' length of cable is required to obtain the lowest possible SWR. That is nothing more than an old wive's tale that someone at Firestik still believes. Use the length of cable needed to make the connection with enough slack to allow easy cable routing, and no more or no less.

Another that could be confusing is where they say antenna cables need to have a "50" Ohm impedence which is incorrect, the correct impedence for a CB, its antenna, and its cable is technically 52 Ohms. Some might be searching for 50 Ohm cables if they didn't know better.

Most of their information is correct but take it with a grain of salt.
              Well put Jerry,... I have seen all kinds of combinations work well with a good SWR although I do still believe in three foot lengths as a general rule.

Comment

somehow the mic went bad, so i put a different mic on and i can hear people, tomarrow i plan on setting the SWR and the other things, but i need to know where i can get a new mic, i looked at radio shack (online) and all the mics they had listed were only available online, i would like to get a new one ASAP so any suggestions would be appricated

Comment

radio

Originally posted by 97sahara View Post
                  somehow the mic went bad, so i put a different mic on and i can hear people, tomarrow i plan on setting the SWR and the other things, but i need to know where i can get a new mic, i looked at radio shack (online) and all the mics they had listed were only available online, i would like to get a new one ASAP so any suggestions would be appricated
                  what kind of radio is it?

Comment

its a cobra 29 NH ST also anyone know i how i can fix the dials that dont light up? i took the cover off but it didnt look like there were any bulbs to change
                    Last edited by 97sahara; 01-19-08, 08:30 AM.

Comment

A New Mic For A Cobra Radio

Originally posted by 97sahara View Post
                      its a cobra 29 NH ST also anyone know i how i can fix the dials that dont light up? i took the cover off but it didnt look like there were any bulbs to change
                      I would say for all the grief this thing is giving you bring it to my house and I would fix it for you for free but you live a long way from Apple Valley. However, if it is a cobra 29 then it is a four pin mic that is the same wiring configuration that is used on all cobra, uniden, president and all "DX" (european release) radios that are four pin. If you are near a truck stop most sell mics and other stuff. If you have a lot of background noise driving down the road in your rig I recommend a Turner RK-56 as it is a good noise canceling mic. About 40 bucks new already wired....MATT

Comment

Originally posted by matt2001tj View Post
                        I recommend a Turner RK-56 as it is a good noise canceling mic. About 40 bucks new already wired....MATT
                        Sheesh, you can buy a brand-new Uniden Pro510XL for $10 less than that and a brand-new Uniden Pro520XL for about that price.
                        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

yea thanks guys i found one at a local electronics store, its a cobra highgear M75, it looks to be pretty nice, the radio is from 1998, it was in a semi at work and they took it out to because some of it doesnt light up anymore, so i took it because being a student im too poor to afford a decent one.

Comment

Working...
                          X