Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery issues

Can't get my optima yellow top to charge, just ordered from 4wd parts and put in the jeep and it wouldn't turn over. Previous stock battery works fine, hooked optima up to a charger and still nothing, any other options to try?

I heard your no supposed to use yellow tops as a starting battery, but either way it should still turn over... are you using the top posts or sides? Might be dumb, but are you sure you have red on (+) and black on (-)? Not trying to be smart...
    |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

I suggest you verify the output of the charger to make sure that isn't the problem. If it still doesn't take a charge I would return the battery for a replacement. The yellow top is supposed to be a good choice for single battery applications with starting and winching demands.
      I've been told I have rocks in my head.

Comment

also trying ditching the charger and using jumper cables...
        |90 XJ|4.0|AX-15|NP231|RE H&T|TnT Y-Link|RE Coils|BOR Leaves|ACOS|D30/Aussie|8.8/ARB|35" Kevlar MTRs|Custom Exo,Sliders,Bumpers|

!!! outdoorlogic.net !!!

Comment

say i jump it and get it to start how long must I run it to ensure that it keeps enough charge to start me up again?
          And what about the charger?

Comment

Leave it on the charger overnight if you can. I have had deep cycle batteries in the past that discharged so far that they were hard to get to take a charge again. They seem to charge very slowly at first.
            84 CJ7, SOA,258 Howell TBI, T5, Dana 300/4:1,4.10s Dana 30 and ARB front, AMC20 Superior axles and ARB rear,35" MTR's

Comment

Originally posted by Dave84cj7 View Post
              Leave it on the charger overnight if you can. I have had deep cycle batteries in the past that discharged so far that they were hard to get to take a charge again. They seem to charge very slowly at first.
              What kind of charger do you have?

Comment

Its 2/10 amp with a 50 amp start boost. I can't remember the brand name. If I'm going to leave it overnight I usually put it on the 2 amp.
                84 CJ7, SOA,258 Howell TBI, T5, Dana 300/4:1,4.10s Dana 30 and ARB front, AMC20 Superior axles and ARB rear,35" MTR's

Comment

Hi all, FWIW: charging a "flat" battery with your ALT. only is a great way to weaken your ALT. If that battery will not hold a charge from a battery charger then the ALT is a waste of time and it is NOT good for the ALT either.
                  Respectfully,
                  LG
                  Hav'n you along, is like loose'n 2 good men....

Comment

Lots of half-truths and flat-out mistruths out there about Yellow Tops, charging, etc.. First, a Yellow Top is a combination starting/deep-cycle battery. It's not a pure starting battery, and it's not a pure deep cycle battery either. Same with the Optima D34M Blue Top, it is the same internally as a Yellow Top... combo starting (technically SLI... starting, lights, ignition) and deep cycle.

Second, the alternator is not going to be hurt by the occasional charging of a completely dead battery. One, there is a battery heat sensor under the battery to protect the battery from being charged too fast which makes it hot. Second, the TJ's alternator has an external voltage regulator which is there to protect both the alternator and battery. There is an initial high amperage surge into a deeply discharged or dead battery but that tapers off very quickly but even the intial surge is not enough to damage the alternator. The occasional completely dead battery does no harm to an alternator. If it did, we'd sure be replacing a lot of alternators.

The best advice to revive a dead deep cycle battery is to start it off with a slow trickle charge, then once the charge level is up a tad you can go to the charger's full-charge mode. A Yellow Top normally does not need any special charging techniques though so it's possible you just have a defective battery.
                    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                      Lots of half-truths and flat-out mistruths out there about Yellow Tops
                      it's possible you just have a defective battery.
                      I have to agree with Jerry. I use to deal with a lot of optima batteries. if they get drained a few times they wont hold a charge anymore.
                      if you try charging it for a few minutes and it still wont hold any chage at all, i would take it back from where you got it, its defective.

for less money i go to sears and get one of those big batteries and dont have nearly the trouble of the optima

Comment

Charged the battery with a stronger charger and not much improvement. Got it to turn over once but the jeep wouldn't idle. Then the battery ran out of juice. Hooked up the stock battery and everything worked fine. Thinking that it might be defective, how good is 4WheelDrive Hardware's return policy?

Comment

Originally posted by DarkWolfTJ View Post
                          Charged the battery with a stronger charger and not much improvement. Got it to turn over once but the jeep wouldn't idle. Then the battery ran out of juice. Hooked up the stock battery and everything worked fine. Thinking that it might be defective, how good is 4WheelDrive Hardware's return policy?
                          Here's one way to find out: Take it back!

Let us know how their customer service handles everything and good luck!
                          If we aren't supposed to eat animals, then why are they made out of meat?

http://jeep.matandtiff.com/

Truth is treason in the empire of lies. -Ron Paul

Comment

Working...
                          X