Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff Lube

I plan to finally flush my diffs on Sun after wheelin' tomorrow. Was curious as to which fluid would be best for my Jeep. I've got a basically stock 06 Rubi with about 20K miles . . . Dana 44's Locked F&R. Other than the occasional tug, I never pull or tow with it, it is my daily driver, but I get offroad as much as possible. I read that there's either special fluid or an additive that needs to be used for limited slip diffs. I've been told that my Rubi's diffs are not only locked but limited slip F&R as well . . . is this true???
    That which does not kill me postpones the inevitable.

Joe,
    I am sure others will chime in here. But it is my understanding of the Rubi and the benefits of the factory locker is that it is open full time, then when you lock it, it is locked full time. Most Limited slip diffs have friction plates that come in contac when one wheel is spinning, which places more pressure on the none turning wheel. This is not what a Rubi has.
    Also did you get a chance to read the last of the thread where you mentioned changing the diff fluid.... here it is. http://www.myjeeprocks.com/forums/sh...t=10148&page=2

I have change fluid now a handfull of times and was glad that I did remove the cover. Its how I learned that I was beginning to have a problem with the rear spider gears. So, I replaced them, soon afterward. I also agree with Jeff, no need to lift the jeep....unless you want to. Remove all the bolts of the cover except one on top and one on the bottom. Loosen the one on top a bit and the bottom one, back out halfway. Place an oil pan beneath the diff, one smack with a mallet to a screwdriver on side the side of the cover where it interfaces with the body will start the fluid out nicely.
    I am confident you could easily handle it. Make sure you have some RTV silcone sealer handy. Wipe out the inside of the diff. Inspect for any metal parts....if you find any, ..... seek help. If not and you only have some fine particles of metal..then good. Clean it all out, scrape off the old gasket sealer from the cover and the body of the diff, apply RTV to the body and then again to the cover and install the cover... in other words, everything Kurt said. The torque on the cover bolts is not much.
    "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
    (Charles Wells)

Comment

Thanks Bob,

Hey where ya been man . . . it sure would be great to wheel with you again!

I'm curious as to which fluid I need . . . would having the lockers require the same special fluid or additive as the limited slip if I indeed don't have the limited slip? What you mentioned about the diffs was what I originally thought but I've heard from a few people that the Rubi's have both . . . I don't know! I thought of another question too . . . what size (the more specific the better . . . might not make sense to me but I'll write it down) would the bolts on the cover be as a couple are pretty shaved compliments of the rocks!!!

Comment

I have a 06 Rubicon with the same diffs. i use Red Line 75/140. All synthetic it does have the additives for your rear limited slip.
        moon buggy
        5.3, turbo 350, Atlas 4.3, 9" front rear

Comment

ROYAL PURPLE BABY lol been using it with lockers for years works great
          [COLOR="YellowGreen"]"You cant fit 2 fingers in my tailpipe"[/COLOR]

Comment

amsoil sever gear

Comment

Hey Joe.... yeah, I'm just busy at work. Work is now a three hour drive...one way. So I stay all week. So then all the house chores stack up and I have to do them on the weekends... life sucks right now, as far as jeepn goes. But I make the best of it. Planning a trip over Bronco peak here soon. Its south of me about an hour away.
              No worries, you'll see me out there sometime.
              "If you have significant difficulty here, dont go any further....it only gets worse".
              (Charles Wells)

Comment

Originally posted by Jeep Virgin View Post
                I have a 06 Rubicon with the same diffs. i use Red Line 75/140. All synthetic it does have the additives for your rear limited slip.
                Is the 75/140 recommended for the Dana 44's even if you're not towing? Do most places like Pep Boys carry Red Line? How much will I need to do both F&R?

So are both F&R limited slip as well as locked . . . just the Rear or not at all?

Thanks!

Comment

According to this website:
                  http://jeep.off-road.com/jeep/articl....jsp?id=259412
                  its just the rear. I had never heard of a selectable locker thats also a posi but here it is on the web so it must be true.
                  84 CJ7, SOA,258 Howell TBI, T5, Dana 300/4:1,4.10s Dana 30 and ARB front, AMC20 Superior axles and ARB rear,35" MTR's

Comment

Joe, You know I have only limited slip all I,ve used is Royal Purle ..and as you,ve seen in my 10 + year old jeep my limited slip still works well..My 3 cents ..Geeb..
                    "A man who fears suffering,is already suffering from what he fears"!

Comment

My $.05....
                      Some interesting reading by 3rd party testers on various name brand gear oils including failures by some "respected" brands.
                      http://www.amsoil.com/products/gearl...hitePaper.aspx

Highlights:

Failures by the following after shear testing:
                      Lucas 75/90
                      Penzoil Syn 75/90
                      Mobil 1 Syn 75/90
                      Penzzoil Gearplus 80/90
                      Mopar Syn 75/90
                      GM Syn 75/90
                      Royal Purple syn 75/90 (Started too thick for its viscosity And ended up too thick!)
                      Torco 75/90

Failures of Brookfield test:
                      Redline
                      Royal Purple
                      Lucas

There are some other interesting test results. The overall result was that Amsoil Severe Gear scored the best out of all of them. Please note that the price shown online for Amsoil Severe Gear is Retail, not My/Your price.

I would suggest the factory recommended 75W140 for the Rubicon, you know you are gonna push that vehicle from time to time right? :wink: Heck, if you don't mind the couple hour round trip drive up to the desert I'll even help you change it out.

PLMK if you would like more information or a quote for products shipped to your door. (You will need 4 qts 75W140 = runs about $59.50 shipped)
                      Thanks, John
                      Last edited by JJsKJ; 01-13-08, 07:56 AM.

Comment

Why in nearly any oil thread you'll usually find an Amsoil dealer pushing his stuff and bad mouthing all other brands of oil? :mad:
                        The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
                          Why in nearly any oil thread you'll usually find an Amsoil dealer pushing his stuff and bad mouthing all other brands of oil? :mad:
                          Yeah, that is way to funny. Its like stacking up statistics to work one or the other. Or like actually believing what a politician says.

Good to see you again, Jerry. Hope all is well.

BobO
                          (Charles Wells)

Comment

.....And then without fail you get the guys who follow and just can't believe that there might be something better out there they can use. For the record, I didn't bad mouth any product I only posted the results from lab testing. I don't care what anyone uses. I like to let people know that there is a better product, give them the information about it and let them decide. For what some are paying for the boutique oils such as Redline, Rp, etc they could be getting better for a similar price. That is the only message I am trying to send. If the test results were not correct, RP, Redline, Mobil 1, etc. could counter the results w/ their own info and/or sue for false claims but they have not. And since 1972 when Amsoil was the first to market a full synthetic oil they have not been told by the FTC to stop whereas many other companies that people respect due to wild advertising claims have been told to cease their claims and others have changed their formulations to increase profits over performance.

Comment

Please note that I don't take any of this personal and really don't care what others think. I sell oil and filters to help support my hobby and get the word out about what I feel is one of the best products out there. I look forward to wheeling w/ and meeting all Jeep people and I certainly love this hobby and the people in it. Screw the oil threads, Lets go wheelin'!

Comment

Working...
                              X