Forum Thread First Post

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• alternator problem?

when i first started my jeep this morning the check guages light came on so i looked and it said the alternator was only charging at 9 volts, and then it rose up to 14, this is the first time its every done it, and it hasnt done it since, its been about 10-15 degrees out all day long and the motor had more then enough time to get cold before it was started again

Before doing anything else or worrying too much, clean and tighten your battery connections and see if that fixes the problem.
    The Geezer Jeep: http://www.greentractortalk.com/jerryb/index.htm

Comment

ill check tomarrow but that was done about a month ago

Comment

at what revs was your engine? i can tell you that at cold temps your motor will not idle to high> i might be wrong but when your rigs engine temp rose the problem went away. remember for a alternator to operate properly she should idle at at least 850/950 rpm. it could also be that because of the cold your battery drained a little thru the night and when you started her together with the power drainage you used to start her your alternator was working a little overtime causeing your alternator to work a little harder and thru this caused your motor to idle a little lower than usual causing the alternator to charge at a lower rate. hope this all made sense to you. it is not much to worry about. next time it happens just lift the revs a little and it "should" go away solving you r problem. good luck
        BIRD WATCHING IS FOR THE FOLKS THAT DON'T HAVE JEEPS.

Comment

it was at about 1000rpms, as soon as the dash lights went off, it dinged and i looked and saw the check guages light

Comment

Originally posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
            Before doing anything else or worrying too much, clean and tighten your battery connections and see if that fixes the problem.
            x10!!
            i replaced my starter was about to buy a new battery, took alternator out and had it checked and my buddy cleaned the battery terminals and it was %100 good. its always the small things I overlook
            [COLOR="Sienna"]97 TJ, 4.0 5spd, 3.5" Rock Krawler 5 inch stretch long arm, 30/44 locked with 48s, 35 inch MTRs, Warn 9k rock track 4:1, Vanco Big Brake Kit![/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
            X